Anybody know much about Fender Custom Shop Custom Deluxe Strats?

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    I’d have said £1400-£1600 tops. I don’t think they’re particularly desirable compared with other CS guitars and it could be difficult to sell for decent money if your plan would be to move it on.
    Bang on the money here imho
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    The issue with a model like this is it’s right up against Tom Andersons and Suhrs in the ‘posh’ Strat market. In my experience, players of both of those brands tend to consider they are more desirable than Fender - while Fender buyers tend to want vintage style instruments. In that sense, it seems to occupy something of a no man’s land.

I think the issue is not so much what it’s worth, as how easy it would be to sell. You may need to wait a lot time to find a buyer - and take a bath on the price when you do.
    Very good point.

For me the appeal of the Fender Custom Shop is vintage-looking guitars - with some non-vintage features like a choice of neck profiles, flatter radius, bigger frets etc.

If I was looking for a "posh Strat" - I might call it a "genteel Superstrat" - I would probably look to Suhr or Anderson before Fender (although I've never owned either).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Philly_Q said:
    jeztone2 said:
    No, but I thought the whole point of the Fender Custom Shop was to make guitars to a higher spec? I thought that's what they were charging you for?
    Ah, you mean because it's just a veneer.  I suppose it's good that they don't hide the fact! #SmallConsolation
    The description says the top is 3/16" thick, that's a bit more than a veneer to my mind... although they then call it a veneer in the specs further down the page.

I guess the point is it's cosmetic, not intended to affect tone (although as we all know body wood doesn't affect tone blah blah blah....)
    3/16”-1/4” is pretty much spot on for an industry standard drop top.   That is not veneer thickness, it’s 3 times the standard for constructional veneer and 9 times thicker than standard veneer.

• Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    I’d have said £1400-£1600 tops. I don’t think they’re particularly desirable compared with other CS guitars and it could be difficult to sell for decent money if your plan would be to move it on.
    We’ve both been lol’d Waz! Possibly by someone who has never tried to sell a used Custom Deluxe Strat in today’s market...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14221
    tFB Trader
    in the right ball park - as good as a Suhr/Anderson etc - same ethos - but less well known
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited April 2018
    Too expensive unfortunately - These were £1600 new from GuitarGuitar and £1700 for the NOS Retro (in clearance however)

Excellent instruments and that model has a 'swimming pool' route, so that you can change the pickup config if desired and it actually adds a bit to the tone (Suhr etc are the same)

One of my favourite vids on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8yYcKZ4BwI
    I'd prefer a G&L however - Same quality and less cost
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    in the right ball park - as good as a Suhr/Anderson etc - same ethos - but less well known
    think they are pushing around $3000 in the USA now for a new model - add vat, shipping, tax to that to obtain an equivalent UK price - effectively a similar price to a new Anderson/Suhr Classic - £1900 is probably okay for a dealer price so trim that down a bit for private ad
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    We’ve both been lol’d Waz! Possibly by someone who has never tried to sell a used Custom Deluxe Strat in today’s market...
    I agree with you both.  The Deluxe models always seem to go for at least £300 less than the re-issue type CS guitars.  Probably for the reasons that others have raised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Schnozz - know much about the G&L S-500 Custom (USA)?

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    tFB Trader
    @Schnozz - know much about the G&L S-500 Custom (USA)?

enough to know that they are one of the hardest guitars to sell - as such price is king - massive depreciation from new to used - some can be very heavy
  • @guitars4you Thanks!  Thought so.

This is the one: http://doctorpaul.wixsite.com/guitars/copy-of-tony

Also this CS, which appeals more:

http://doctorpaul.wixsite.com/guitars/copy-of-twister

Of course, down to cash adjustments...

My band, Red For Dissent
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Absolutely cut your head off at ten paces. Bright as fuck due to the terrible combination of a maple cap and the horrendous Abby Ybarra pups.

Fender got this one very wrong.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Absolutely cut your head off at ten paces. Bright as fuck due to the terrible combination of a maple cap and the horrendous Abby Ybarra pups.

Fender got this one very wrong.

Also, value- £1400 tops. I bought one from Doug for that, although I returned it as it was horrible.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Gassage ; :s Which guitar?

My band, Red For Dissent
    @Gassage ; :s Which guitar?
    It was a sunburst 2013.

• Gassage said:
    @Gassage ; :s Which guitar?
    It was a sunburst 2013.
    Ah, the Custom Deluxe. That's dead in the water now but still looking for a Strat-style guitar in trade with my PRS Hollowbody. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    tFB Trader

@guitars4you Thanks!  Thought so.

This is the one: http://doctorpaul.wixsite.com/guitars/copy-of-tony

Also this CS, which appeals more:

http://doctorpaul.wixsite.com/guitars/copy-of-twister

Of course, down to cash adjustments...

can't see any price on that - but nothing wrong with that - some won't like the HSS format if you wish to sell at a later date - but some will buy it - originally it would have had a Seymour Duncan in the bridge or the EVH pick-up that Fender sometime use (can't recall the name)
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    edited April 2018
    @guitars4you £250 with the CS for the HB. Think that includes the original Frankenstein. 

Very tempted by a white Jackson Adrian Smith USA...

My band, Red For Dissent
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you £250 with the CS for the HB. Think that includes the original Frankenstein. 

Very tempted by a white Jackson Adrian Smith USA and £900...
    doesn't sound to bad on the CS Deal

I'm not up to date on Jackson prices so suggest someone else can help you on that - might be better with a new thread to get the ball rolling