Boss CS-2 or CS-3?

builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
What’s the verdict on these two? I’ve used compressors in the past but couldn’t really understand or find much use for them until now. Looking at these two which would you recommend? I’m looking to smooth out and add sustain to overdriven/distorted lead tones, I’m not really interested in the country stuff. Also which is the quietest out of the two I’m also on a very tight budget hence opting for a used Boss.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited April 2018
    The CS-2 is now considered a ‘vintage’/collectible pedal, so will cost you at least as much as a new CS-3.

I’ve not played a CS-3 - but Boss pedals are widely available on the used market. The best bet is to buy one and if you don’t get on with it, you should be able to sell it on without losing much/any money.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Clean, quiet, cheap - used CS-3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Clean, quiet, cheap - used CS-3.
    Think I’ll opt for the CS-3, clean and quiet is what I’m after. Well if it’s good enough for the late Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse) and Nels Cline
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited April 2018
    CS-3 is less subtle and possibly quieter, sold it. CS-2 sounds the best and I use it to lightly boost the front of a td-x with the compression relatively low at 10 o-clock.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I love the sound of the CS3 with the attack and sustain disks up full, but it does get a bit noisy at that extreme, especially with single coils. I have one modded with a noise-suppressor, and I also run one in conjunction with an NS2 noise suppressor.
    Here's a rock-ballad solo from a gig a couple of years back, with the CS3 on the setting detailed above plus an OS2 overdrive with the gain on about 2/10

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    CP-X1

I went into a shop a couple of weeks ago and they had a CS-3 reduced, so I decided to try one; the salesperson suggested I try the CP-X1 as well; the CS-3 was lifeless and the CP-X1 enhanced the sound.

I bought the CP-X1 (it cost £99 instead of £69 for the CS-3).
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The CS-2 is pretty smooth, personally I much prefer it to the CS-3 but then if you wanted more attack, and a cleaner compression, CS-3 wins there. For smooth, I'd think CS-2. But then, there are so many choices on the market...
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    prowla said:
    CP-X1

I went into a shop a couple of weeks ago and they had a CS-3 reduced, so I decided to try one; the salesperson suggested I try the CP-X1 as well; the CS-3 was lifeless and the CP-X1 enhanced the sound.

yeah very underrated pedal. won me over janglebox, barber, diamond, empress, cali..

By far the quietest, most natural lively sounding, works with any rig as well as the smallest and the cheapest of the lot
  • althy said:
    prowla said:
    CP-X1

yeah very underrated pedal. won me over janglebox, barber, diamond, empress, cali..

By far the quietest, most natural lively sounding, works with any rig as well as the smallest and the cheapest of the lot
    Hmmmm! the cp-x1 you’ve got me thinking, seems reasonably priced too, I could never fork out £269 on a cali76 it would kill me, this one sounds like it may work out for me
  • That’s a great price for the CP-X1 if it was £99? which shop did you get it from?
    althy said:
    prowla said:
    CP-X1

• prowla said:
    CP-X1

Well I opted for a CP-1X, a bit apprehensive about spending that sort of money on a compressor. Just hoping it will work out with my set up, but I like the fact that you can use it as a set and forget pedal too.