How to get satin or raw wood feel on neck?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
I'm just about to embark on a new Partscaster. As usual, I'll go for a nitro finish body, but I've recently got into raw wood feel necks, or the satin that Fender do. Nothing too shiny and with a lovely slippery feel. How can I achieve this on my maple/rosewood? neck Nitro always feels sticky and glossy. NB. I still want vintage tint. Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Do you mean like the musicman necks too etc?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I used wire wool on a lacquered strat neck which worked well, just required some elbow grease. I think you can also use Scotchbright abrasive pads.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    @GSPBASSES gave me some great oil that will do what you want. I'm not sure what it's called but I imagine he can fill in that blank
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    There are many ways to get there but any kind of oil and/or wax blend with lots of rubbing and buffing will work

my favourite for raw wood is wetsanded tru-oil followed by briwax applied with 0000 wire wool and s hell of a lot of buffing with a soft cloth.

my favourite with lacquered wood is micromesh

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited April 2018
    I find a couple of coats of tru oil works really well and I do mean a couple...you could stain it first.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Some good ideas thanks, chaps.

@WezV - if using Micromesh on lacquer, do you keep rubbing until you get to the wood?

@hotpickups - Not sure. Not played one.

@meltedbuzzbox - Graham's made the body and neck for me, so I'll ask! Cheers
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited April 2018
    Graham has previously recommended Morrells Eze-oil. If you search the forum there are many threads on oil based finishing with Gunstock oil, Crimson finishing oil, Danish oil and the like, including this thread where Graham describes Eze-oil:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/76402/wudtone-black-magic-woman-finish-any-experience/p1
    The Eze-oil isn't at all easy to get hold of,  and is expensive (over £30 for a little can), and has a limited shelf life once opened.
    Lebarque said:

@WezV - if using Micromesh on lacquer, do you keep rubbing until you get to the wood?

Nope, you can rebuff a lacquered neck with micromesh and it will feel significantly less sticky.  You can even still have it glossy.

• Check the Music Man forums for lots of threads on oiling and waxing. It’s dead simple though. Wipe tru-oil over the neck with a paper towel, then immediately wipe off with clean paper towel. Repeat with gunstock wax. 

You’re done. It’s a two-minute job, and the result looks and feels amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Check the Music Man forums for lots of threads on oiling and waxing. It’s dead simple though. Wipe tru-oil over the neck with a paper towel, then immediately wipe off with clean paper towel. Repeat with gunstock wax. 

Agreed!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Just put a couple of hundred hours of playing on a normal nitro finished neck.  The sticky feeling will be gone, and it will be lovely.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    Check the Music Man forums for lots of threads on oiling and waxing. It’s dead simple though. Wipe tru-oil over the neck with a paper towel, then immediately wipe off with clean paper towel. Repeat with gunstock wax. 

Agreed!
    Agree to a point.   Spending more than 2 minutes will give a sleeker feel and need less maintenance.

most raw wood is not sanded past 240g.  You are only ever going to get that so smooth.  Sanding up to 1500g before starting the process, or wetsanding with oil between the first coat of oil and the final wax will take more effort but reward you with a neck that will make a music man feel rough by comparison