Mid-gain Plexi crunch pedal?

What's Hot
Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
I'm looking for something that'll get me in the ballpark of a plexi (or Bassman, for that matter) type sound. Not a hot-rodded high gain 'Marshall' or early EVH sound. I have pedals that can get me there pretty well, already. More the sort of low to mid-gain crunch, think Malcolm Young or Hendrix in his less fuzzed out moments, that I can stack with other pedals.

Partly triggered by picking up a Catalinbread DLS and deciding it's not for me.

Stacks wonderfully with fuzz and other style pedals -- I've never heard some of my other pedals sounding so good -- but the core tone with just the DLS on its own, doesn't quite get tight enough in the low end, or even quite clean enough for me. I expect it'd be perfect with another guitar, or another person's style. But ... it doesn't quite get me to the sound I want to hear.

Recommendations? I'm happy to make things (from PCB, kits, or on vero) if need be,

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wampler ? 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Which version of the DLS arid you try? I didn’t like the Mk2 but thought the Mk3 was excellent and a lot more versatile.

Probably the Wampler Plexidrive Deluxe is your best bet, or the Wheebo JTM drive?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Okko make a plexi inspired pedal called the King Krunch. Worth a look.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    @smudge_lad it's a Mk 3. I think it nails a certain kind of sound, and as per comment above, it stacks amazingly well with other drive pedals and fuzz.

But, with my main guitar (ASAT with the big MFD pickups, which produce a fair bit of low end) I don't find I can get it to clean up enough, or be quite 'crisp' enough in the low mids and low end. I did a fairly exhaustive comparison of the sound of the pedal with videos of some plexi tones, and it gets it pretty spot on, I think, but it's not quite what I wanted.

(Ironically, I do actually have a 50w plexi head, but I want a pedal for volume and convenience reasons, as without a lot of attenuation, and maybe some kind of cab simulator, I couldn't get anywhere near that tone at flat volumes).

Wheebo JTM gets recommended on The Fretboard a lot, I think. Will check it out.
  • This is a hard one to get right. The pedal I think sounds the best is the Marshall gv2. It's cheap, too - however, it doesn't stack as well as other pedals I found. 

Now I use a Boss df-2. This is very responsive and likes other pedals, but isn't really marshall voiced as such as more a generic responsive crunch sound from a big amp. 

I've heard the weehbo is very good but never tried one. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Marvell Drive?

I happen to have one for sale... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Rocket Flex Drive 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Box of rock or clone.  They are great 
    The Weehbo nails it in some of the youtube vids. Bang on for the sound I want. Will check out the other recommendations shortly.
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    Most ‘plexi’ style pedals have way too much gain and are voiced nothing like a vintage Marshall. The most accurate flavour I’ve tried is a Rockett 45 Calibre. Very accurate representation that is a real pleasure to find!
    can also recommend the new Rockett Animal for a great slightly pushed open sounding plexi.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Carl Martin Plexitone solo?
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Bluesbreaker mk1 ?
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Origin effects revival drive? I’m hoping this fits your requirements as it’s exactly what I’m after too. 
  • Carl Martin lo gain Plexitone might do the job
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Most ‘plexi’ style pedals have way too much gain and are voiced nothing like a vintage Marshall. The most accurate flavour I’ve tried is a Rockett 45 Calibre. Very accurate representation that is a real pleasure to find!
    can also recommend the new Rockett Animal for a great slightly pushed open sounding plexi.

Not something anyone would accuse the Weehbo JTM of. Some people flip them because they lack gain.

For me that's a big plus, and besides they stack magnificently with a boost in front. 

The new Origin Revival is the only pedal I would consider replacing mine with

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Xotic BB, loved mine. Sounded great in its own and worked well with other pedals and an already driven amp.

Gotta add that the Origin Effects Revival Drive does look mind blowing let good.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    The Weehbo was also very quiet I thought, even stacked into the hiss was low. Lots of bottom end in it but not mushy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    Keeley 1962
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I have a couple of boards. A big one for when I have space and a small one for gigs where the band is squashed into a corner. I have a Marshall-style pedal on both boards. I have an original Marshall Guv'nor Mk1. It's an excellent pedal with a decent three-band EQ and plenty of gain on tap. It was famously used by Gary Moore on the "Still Got the Blues" album. for my small board I use the Catalinbread DLS Mk2.

The OP mentioned the DLS in the top post. I tried the Mk3 with the three-band EQ and I just didn't like it as much as the Mk2. Instead of a three-band, the Mk2 just has "fullness" and "presence" controls which I guess equate somewhat to bass and treble but I think they do a cut rather than a boost. There's something about the OD in the Mk2 which I liked better and I've stuck with it.
    I had a play around again with a clone of the Friedman BE-OD last night, and I could get pretty close with that, ironically. The gain level was a bit too high, even with the gain right down -- although I could probably get it down using the internal trim pot, if I play around with that -- but the crispness and low-end tightness was there. I was able to get a pretty solid Malcolm Young type tone, not very saturated or compressed.

The DLS still takes fuzz style pedals better, though.

Listening to vids, of the recommendations above, the .45 Caliber, Weehbo (various), and the Origin Effects Revival all have the right kind of tone.