We metall'ed up a non-metal song.....

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
....in rehearsal last week and recorded it.

It's a potential set addition for our next gig and hoping it will go down well. Bonus points for anyone who can figure out what other metal cover of a non-metal song inspired this version.
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ....in rehearsal last week and recorded it.

It's a potential set addition for our next gig and hoping it will go down well. Bonus points for anyone who can figure out what other metal cover of a non-metal song inspired this version.

Land of Confusion by...Disturbed, was it? Or maybe it was Carcas' version of Mandy by Barry Manilow

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Nope but I am now going to to google that Carcas one :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Sorry...i made that one up. Wishful thinking!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about - and this is a genuine one - Ghost with Waiting For The Night by Depeche Mode?

Also nope.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Oh bugger. The Ghost version is very good, as it happens. As is yours - nice job!

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    That works well. \m/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    HIM - Wicked Game

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited March 2014

Did Nirvana metal up a non-metal song? If so is it that?

edit - nice solo!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Bonus points go to @ICBM
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited March 2014
    Bonus points go to @ICBM
    I love that cover. Everyone else seems to think I'm mad, so it's good to find I'm not alone :).

I much prefer it to Heather Nova's rather insipid too-similar-to-the-original version, and I'm a huge fan of Heather so that's saying something ;). (And I like the original, too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Not bad. Much better than the London Grammar version (not metal, and though I like them they destroyed that song). The original is hard to beat though, if I'd heard this without knowing the original I'd have just thought it was another metal track.
    Alot of people think the one on Donny Darko is the original (although it is my favourite version)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Excellent cover fella.

BTW if ICBM hadn't got the link I was going with either Lacuna Coil " Enjoy the silence" or Nightwish "Walking in the air"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RTOLMbKjLeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-OVl-0m5ssA

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I love the Lacuna Coil one, haven't heard the nightwish one before but funnily enough we plagiarised the snowman for one of our Xmas songs:

@Viz I was quite pleased with the solo too. The only problem with imporvising it is that I should pro0bably now go back and learn what i played :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Alot of people think the one on Donny Darko is the original (although it is my favourite version)
    That makes me feel old :). Tears For Fears 'The Hurting' was a huge part of my teenage world…

No offence intended, but I still prefer their version ;).

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I'm pretty sure somebody did a Metal version of ABBA's Fernando.  We tried at a rehearsal once, but couldn't stop laughing - mainly because it sounded great !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    I'm pretty sure somebody did a Metal version of ABBA's Fernando.  We tried at a rehearsal once, but couldn't stop laughing - mainly because it sounded great !
    These Swedish metallers did an ABBA album ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • vizviz Frets: 10691

@Viz I was quite pleased with the solo too. The only problem with imporvising it is that I should pro0bably now go back and learn what i played :D

Haha yes, that's a nightmare - we've got to do a music video on Saturday of a song we've recorded - I've got 4 days to work out what I actually played.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    edited March 2014
    Me and a couple of mates jammed a metalled up version of Mirror in the Bathroom about twenty years ago.....   Sounds crap now but we were proud of it at the time.   Four track portastudio all the way!