Treated myself today to a Reiver - Something different.

What's Hot
MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Big thanks to our forum member Alan Cringean @Skelf at AC Guitars / Reiver Guitars. I'm a huge fan of his work/builds, and have been meaning to add another to the collection for some time. Today I took the long drive (I hate driving) down to Moffat in the Scottish borders, and met up with Alan. A thoroughly pleasant chap and a warm welcome awaited me. I tried a couple out that I had my sights set on. I've got a pretty tidy, diverse collection, but playing something else and then playing one of Alans is like jumping out of a Transit into a Bentley. Absolute quality.

This left with me...

Reiver 026. - One piece Alder body with a Wenge top. 5 piece Flame Maple/Mahogany with Flame Maple headstock, Acrylic Impregnated Birdseye Maple Fingerboard with Luminlay face/side dots, Modern Series Rune II Ceramic Pickups. Gotoh tuners, and a Wilkinson tremolo, which is one of the first guitars Alans fitted a Trem to.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I like that a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28018
    Me too. Modern singlecut with trem? I should coco. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Very classy, happy NGD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Very nice. Just had a look at the website 
    http://reiverguitars.co.uk/
    Some nice guitars on there and a few on sale as well. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Very nice. Just had a look at the website 
    http://reiverguitars.co.uk/
    Some nice guitars on there and a few on sale as well. 

Played the Whisky and Tobacco stained one that's in the clearance section as well today, and it's a real beauty. If I could have afforded to buy two, that one would have come home with me also.

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    I have been umming and ahhing for about a year over one or two of the clearance guitars. I am too far away to try first and this is the first user opinion I have seen! I understand his necks are quite flat? 12 inch radius etc? Are they intended for rock/metal or good for other usage too?
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Sweet thing. Love the body shake. 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited April 2018
    Jetsam1 said:
    I have been umming and ahhing for about a year over one or two of the clearance guitars. I am too far away to try first and this is the first user opinion I have seen! I understand his necks are quite flat? 12 inch radius etc? Are they intended for rock/metal or good for other usage too?
    Well my style sits somewhere between Kenny Burrell and Danny Gatton. I'm not a rock/metal player at all. It's just nice to move away from the traditional Strat/Tele style. So yes, it plays like butter. The one I bought is a 16" radius and it's a joy to play. bending almost happens for you with little effort, No extra effort needed for barring etc. That Tobacco and Whisky one in the clearance section a 12", and it had a slightly slimmer neck than the one I bought.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Fantastic looking instrument. Nice one!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    That's beautiful.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2018
    That's so cool.

I once played a Reiver and didn't get on with it, but I think a lot of that had to do with the setup. They're beautifully built and look fantastic - I love how different they are. I'd like to try more from them one day...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • skelfskelf Frets: 209
    tFB Trader
    My thanks to MikeS for dropping down it was good to chat. Also thanks for the kind words.

Just one small correction which was my fault. The radius on the Tobacco TKO is actually 12" which has now been corrected on the website.

Cheers
    Alan