Washers for Pots etc.

What's Hot
Are the washers that go on the pot shaft before the nut only for wood finishes to stop the nut biting in to the wood?

Is there still a benefit of using them on a plastic pickguard?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    That's the way they come from the factory, so I would say so. Probably distributes the nut tension over a wider, flatter area? Matches the lock washer area underneath the guard. 

But I always try and remember that this is guitar building we're talking about, not aerospace.  :)

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Also stops your spanner or whatever from scratching the surface.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    And stops the nut scratching the surface as its tightened too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    That's the way they come from the factory, so I would say so.
    USA Fenders don't usually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    That's the way they come from the factory, so I would say so. Probably distributes the nut tension over a wider, flatter area? Matches the lock washer area underneath the guard. 

Spot on.

I spent a few years in the fastener industry and never knew what the point of a washer was until after I had been working in the industry for 5 years! 

Flat washers serve two functions in any application 

1) to evenly distribute tension otherwise the tension is on the bolt once tightened (in our case the pot shaft) 

2) hex nuts need a flat surface to adhere to, otherwise the nut will easily come loose.

Granted, the tension in this application is minimal.

as a bonus, as mentioned above, no one wants the nut to mark the finish in a guitar. If you tighten it enough on a nitro finish im sure you’d get a mini indentation anyway. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Spot on.

I spent a few years in the fastener industry and never knew what the point of a washer was until after I had been working in the industry for 5 years! 

1) to evenly distribute tension otherwise the tension is on the bolt once tightened (in our case the pot shaft) 

2) hex nuts need a flat surface to adhere to, otherwise the nut will easily come loose.

as a bonus, as mentioned above, no one wants the nut to mark the finish in a guitar. If you tighten it enough on a nitro finish im sure you’d get a mini indentation anyway. 
    You'd have to have the pot fixed in a strange way to put the shaft under tension.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Gagaryn said:

Spot on.

You'd have to have the pot fixed in a strange way to put the shaft under tension.
    Yes of course - it wouldn’t matter on a guitar. Was just explaining what a washer does in general :)
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    That's the way they come from the factory, so I would say so.
    USA Fenders don't usually.
    See I couldn't be sure I remembered correctly but I don't think mine did.

Is a nut more likely to scratch plastic than a washer?
    thegummy said:

Is a nut more likely to scratch plastic than a washer?
    Yes, although the scratch will be hidden by the nut.

But on a USA Fender, it won't anyway because they leave the protective clear layer on the pickguard when they assemble the guitar.

So you then have to remove the knobs and loosen the pots to get it off without leaving torn fragments under the knobs, where they make an irritating rustling noise when you turn them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Even more annoyingly they leave the blue plastic film on the latches of G&G cases when they rivet them on meaning you are always left with scraps of blue plastic.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I can remember when I was a kid and didn't know it was safe to take the guitar apart, I just lived with remnants of film under screws and switches etc. Lol

What about the kind of spikey washers for the other side, what are those used for?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    Third function of a washer is to allow for tolerances in holes and bolt sizes to ensure there’s enough clamp area.

spikey washer is to prevent the nut or bolt turning which could reduce the clamp force.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    thegummy said:

What about the kind of spikey washers for the other side, what are those used for?
    The spikey washers - technically called 'shakeproof' or 'grip' washers - are to stop the pot/jack/whatever turning against the plate and working the nut loose. They're better used on the underside than between the nut and the plate, although you will sometimes see them there instead.

Don't worry about doing the nut up tight enough that the grip washer bites into the pickguard, that's what it's meant to do.