Dating a Stripped Telecaster Body

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    newi123 said:
    Took a quick glimpse of this headline and came here for dating advice on strippers. I was a little disappointed ...
    Me too!  :/

In my own personal experience, strippers are way more fun that telecasters.............
    depends if the stripper looks as old and worn as this Tele - Would much prefer to see a stripper with a D.O.B from the last few years of the nineties
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    And so it starts :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    The edge looks a little sharp here compared to the other edges. Was it sanded hard?
    https://imgur.com/Mxzu2Ab
    I know Teles have a sharp edge around the plate but can't remember if it stretches all around the cutaway at that time and I'm away from my reference books just now.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I just read the headline of this discussion and thought, wow, there are some weird people around....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    The edge looks a little sharp here compared to the other edges. Was it sanded hard?

possibly and always hard to fully clarify - that period would have had a fullerplast base coat, so to take it down to natural, then chances are it would have had some serious rubbing down anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Dealers Description:

Fender Telecaster 1966, all original aside from stripped finish, replaced nut and high E tuner replaced. Electronics were wired as 50's spec, has been rewired professional back to the original spec with the original parts. Possible re-wind on the bridge pickup. Neck dates to April 1966.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    well found sir!
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Dealers Description:

Fender Telecaster 1966, all original aside from stripped finish, replaced nut and high E tuner replaced. Electronics were wired as 50's spec, has been rewired professional back to the original spec with the original parts. Possible re-wind on the bridge pickup. Neck dates to April 1966.

great two words  'aside from' - I'm sure he is not offering any misleading info as it appears as though he is upfront about many features etc - But I do struggle with 'all original aside from' followed by an extensive list of non-original and that is only based on what is stated and not what we have additional gathered

Additional pics still required as we  have all mentioned earlier/above
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I don’t think you can say anything for definite from those pics. There is nothing to rule out an original body just yet

I had similar thoughts about the sharpness of edges and the ferrules.... but those could easily be a symptom of the Refin.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    miserneil said:
    Dealers Description:

Original spec *is* the 50s circuit, for a '66 Tele. It didn't change to the 'modern' circuit until late 1967.

That said, all bar a tiny minority of players will want the 'modern' circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited April 2018
    It's pretty ugly in parts, multi piece body and whatnot. If you were going to fake the body you'd probably choose a more enticing lump of wood.   

I vote... Maybe.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Any more juicy gut shots to share @peteri ??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Want a funny story?

I emailed the shop over night and they emailed me at 10:10 this morning saying it sold first thing this morning.

Given that the shop only opened at 10, I'm slightly dubious in that - wondering if it ever existed!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    My wife just asked why I was reading an article about Dating A Stripper.....perish the thought  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    peteri said:
    Want a funny story?

I emailed the shop over night and they emailed me at 10:10 this morning saying it sold first thing this morning.

Given that the shop only opened at 10, I'm slightly dubious in that - wondering if it ever existed!
    Sounds slightly rum.  The market for such artefacts must be reasonably limited.  One might imagine the seller could be a member or keen reader of this very forum...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Indeed!

This is actually the second time this has happened with the same shop now I come to think of it
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    The body shape might tell you it's not 'vintage' (i.e. confirm a negative) but without a paint finish I can't see there's any way you can be sure that it is positively from the year described.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:
    Dealers Description:

Original spec *is* the 50s circuit, for a '66 Tele. It didn't change to the 'modern' circuit until late 1967.

That said, all bar a tiny minority of players will want the 'modern' circuit.
    @ICBM what's the difference between 50's and modern wiring on a Telecaster and Stratocaster?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    On a Tele, until 1967 the front position of the switch gave a muted ‘bass’ tone and the middle position gave the neck pickup. After that it was changed to the modern neck/both/bridge circuit.

The Strat stayed the same until the early 1980s, and didn’t even get a 5-way switch - which is electrically identical to a 3-way, just with two extra mechanical stops - until 1977.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    On a Tele, until 1967 the front position of the switch gave a muted ‘bass’ tone and the middle position gave the neck pickup. After that it was changed to the modern neck/both/bridge circuit.

Plus it meant you could not get both pick-ups on at the same time - which is the format most of us know today