Mark Bass Little Mark III - line out problem

ricorico Frets: 1220
Our bassist picked up one of these little monsters but the line out isn't working. The line out specifies balanced XLR cable but would using un-balanced cables be the the cause of the issue?

The sound guy at the last gig venue couldn't get it to work and I have tried into a mixer with no joy.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    rico said:
    Our bassist picked up one of these little monsters but the line out isn't working. The line out specifies balanced XLR cable but would using un-balanced cables be the the cause of the issue?
    Yes, probably. Depending on how the unbalanced cable is wired, it will mute the output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    Yes, probably. Depending on how the unbalanced cable is wired, it will mute the output.
    Thanks as always - is there a way to tell if an XLR is unbalanced?
    rico said:

By plugging in the wrong cable :).

A lot of bass amps seem to have this problem, there was a thread here recently about another one, I think a Warwick.

It's just poor design - the output should be properly balanced, in which case connecting either side of the output to ground simply creates an unbalanced signal... instead of silence.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    rico said:

By plugging in the wrong cable :).

A lot of bass amps seem to have this problem, there was a thread here recently about another one, I think a Warwick.

It's just poor design - the output should be properly balanced, in which case connecting either side of the output to ground simply creates an unbalanced signal... instead of silence.
    If I check the continuity of each pin would this indicate that it is a balanced cable?
    rico said:

If I check the continuity of each pin would this indicate that it is a balanced cable?
    Check the continuity between same-numbered pins, and for shorts between any two pins.

To be honest, XLR outputs on amps are a pain in the backside. Half the time they aren't implemented correctly, and even if they are, most of the time the soundman doesn't want to know - probably due to experience with the first lot - and insists on using his own DI box. So you're actually better off with an unbalanced output - and your own DI box, if you're the soundman...