Pickup recommendations?

VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
Morning all - just after some ideas. I've got an Ibanez RG 8-string - just the standard model, but a very nice guitar - apart from the pickups. They are active, but sound muddy with no definition to the tone whatsoever. I can bring out the sound a bit more on my AX8, but realistically I need some new pickups. Anyone got any idea what might be good? I mostly play 7-string in a prog band; some fairly heavy stuff, but nothing approaching death metal territory :) Ideally I want something clear and punchy that'll sound good with gain and clean. I used to have EMG 808's on an old 8-string and didn't like those either. I'm thinking I might go for the Lundgren ones that Meshuggah use, but would be very grateful for any opinions from anyone who's tried those or anything else.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do they need to be active or will you consider passives too?
     If so, John Petrucci's tried and tested Dimarzio Crunch lab or LiquiFire's will get you in the area you want to be in sonically. 

I'm just going to check they do them in an 8 string!
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • Doh! They don't come in an 8. I'll get my coat. 

To be fair, Dimazio's D Activator has a very similar out put to the Crunch Lab.  
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited April 2018
    If you don't like EMGs and want something clearer sounding, check out Fishman Fluence Moderns. 

They're also active, but have more headroom and dynamics than EMGs, also a much clearer tonality and more high end.  The secondary passive voice mode is also nice - I have the six string set.  Actually I prefer the EMGs but for what you want the Fishmans sound like a better fit for actives.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Fishman Fluence Moderns. 
    Yeah but ...
    Ibanez 8-string

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Fishman Fluence Moderns. 
    Yeah but ...
    Ibanez 8-string

Does that mean they won’t fit?
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Fishman Fluence Moderns. 
    Yeah but ...
    Ibanez 8-string

Does that mean they won’t fit?
    aha, that's one I hadn't thought of. I'll take a look in case they do them :)