Marshall DSL20HR

newi123newi123 Frets: 860
Anyone bought one?

If so, how are they - giggable on both channels? Does the crunch channel do a classic Marshall sound?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    newi123 said:
    Anyone bought one?

If so, how are they - giggable on both channels? Does the crunch channel do a classic Marshall sound?

Cheers
    Depends what classic Marshall mean to you! 

My classic Marshall sound is jcm800/900, bad religion, baby chaos etc 

but if yours is the plexi style breakup then, no I don’t think the DSL does it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    What he said! The new DSL sounds great but it's not really the plexi kinda sound, much more modern especially on the ultra gain channel which has a great sound now. You'd be better off with an Origin if you want those warmer lower gain plexi style tones. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    timmysoft said:
    newi123 said:
    Anyone bought one?

Cheers
    Depends what classic Marshall mean to you! 

My classic Marshall sound is jcm800/900, bad religion, baby chaos etc 

but if yours is the plexi style breakup then, no I don’t think the DSL does it.
    TTBZ said:
    What he said! The new DSL sounds great but it's not really the plexi kinda sound, much more modern especially on the ultra gain channel which has a great sound now. You'd be better off with an Origin if you want those warmer lower gain plexi style tones. 
    Cheers guys - Actually my classic Marshall sound is also more 80s.......... I have a full size JCM900, was looking for something a bit smaller. Am I guessing this would fit the bill then?
  • I tried one last week. The dirty channel is decent. The clean channel is decent too and very clean. For mid level breakup, the Jubilee I tried was better. I’m going to try the origin, but for me it will be either the jubilee or the origin. DSL wasn’t bad at all though, I just liked the middle ground overdrive levels the jubilee gets more
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    @newi123 I got a mail from GAK today offering a mega deal on these at £70 off if you are thinking of going for one
    bazxkr said:
    @newi123 I got a mail from GAK today offering a mega deal on these at £70 off if you are thinking of going for one
    Cheers - I'm going to take a trip to play one and some other heads first I think!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I am considering one of these to replace my DSL40C MK1, I do use the "green crunch" quite a bit though, so it staying clean on that channel is not encouraging. I'll take my guitar and cab to a store and have a try of one I think. 
      Anyone looking to buy there's an ex demo one on eBay via a shop currently for £380 ish. It'll save me buying it without trying..........
    edited April 2018
    I tried one last week. The dirty channel is decent. The clean channel is decent too and very clean. For mid level breakup, the Jubilee I tried was better. I’m going to try the origin, but for me it will be either the jubilee or the origin. DSL wasn’t bad at all though, I just liked the middle ground overdrive levels the jubilee gets more
    I'm actually thinking of replacing my Jubilee with a DSL20HR. I love the Jubilee and its the better amp for sure, but I could do with selling the jube as I need the money, and the DSL gets most of the way there. Like you say the cleans and mid range overdrives are better on the Jubilee but I play pretty heavy stuff so the DSL works nicely. I'll definitely miss the eq on the jubilee though.
  • @TTBZ ;Keep the Jubilee and buy my Ironheart rack head for not very much at all. The high gain on that is easily as good as the new DSL. :)
    It's looking like the Jubilee will have to go one way or the other I think - weddings and children are expensive! 

I had a Laney GH50L for 10 years and it was always love/hate with that amp. Had a very dry and stiff feel, you really had to work for it without a boost in the front end. Are the Ironhearts like that?
  • I’ve never used pedals with the Ironheart as it has a boost built in. I tend to use the rhythm channel with lowish gain and the lead channel with medium gain but more volume. I then use the boost on either. The lead channel has a lot of gain on tap