TC 2290 Digital Delay... reborn

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 895
It's back!

The world's best rack delay - sadly long ago discontinued - is now reborn as the TC 2290-DT, a DAW plugin paired with a really cool desktop hardware controller, derived directly from the original hardware.

What's this got to do with me? Well I have had an original 2290 for many years, I also run the tc2290.com website and am honoured to have had a bunch of my presets ported from my original unit to the new. The first (and probably only) time I'll get to share a webpage with Pete Thorn et al! :)

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Computer-Audio/Desktop-Controllers/TC2290-DT/p/P0D3X

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    That's great, but I don't understand why anybody would want the physical interface for a single plugin. Seems a bit like lock-in for the sake of it, to me...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    That's great, but I don't understand why anybody would want the physical interface for a single plugin. Seems a bit like lock-in for the sake of it, to me...
    You're not really 'locked-in' as such. The 2290 has always been a very tactile and 'hand-on' kind of unit, so I suppose the inclusion of hardware recognises that. It puts all the essential dynamic controls right at you fingertips whilst you're playing, rather than constantly having to reach for the mouse to find a parameter onscreen. The functions controlled by the hardware are very powerful and highly interactive, so the slightest increment can change the sound markedly. Having that at the press of a button is great. For instance, highlighting any function makes it 'live', so it's just a single quick button press to turn mods on or off, nudge-up the feedback, or increse delay time by 1msec and hear the effect instantly. It makes the workflow much more creative IMO.

However, if you don't want to use the hardware unit all the time, the plugin will function without it, allowing you to still use all the presets and to adjust DAW specifics, such as input and output volumes and mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited April 2018
    Looks like the centre console of Doc's DeLorean...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Im in agreement for no need for the controller.....a big apart is a number pad which is made redundant by the computer keyboard, software that is defined by its hardware has a poor history in terms of sales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Is there any chance that the physical controller is a tiny hint that a full eurorack version of the 2290 is on the way?

Because I'd really like one...

...really, REALLY like one.

...really, really, really, REALLY like one!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congratulations @Gadget that's awesome to have your presets included. Watched the video the other day, sounds great!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is there any chance that the physical controller is a tiny hint that a full eurorack version of the 2290 is on the way?

Because I'd really like one...

...really, REALLY like one.

...really, really, really, REALLY like one!
    I was hoping for it to be a Eurorack too! :-/
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Congratulations @Gadget that's awesome to have your presets included. Watched the video the other day, sounds great!
    Thanks mate, I appreciate it :)

I'm chuffed to bits really, being a non-pro in such illustrious company. Also really weird seeing my name come up on the presets in the Sweetwater demo (below). There are 20 of mine going out with the release and at least 40 more in the future :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom