NPD: EHX Canyon

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
Bought one of these bad boys at the weekend to replace my Ibanez mini Analogue Delay and TC Ditto. I never really used the Ditto and the analogue delay sounded too dark for my liking and basically saw very little action (I'm still a Rookie, so it's all a bit of an experiment using effects like this). I saw the Canyon could do Digital, Analogue, Octave, and Loops and a few other things so I managed to convince myself that I could replace the two existing pedals with one new one and not only get a sound I preferred but have umpteen new options too.

I have to say, after a couple of evening playing about with it, I am mightily impressed with the Canyon. It's got me trying out all sorts of cool sounding stuff and it's prompting me to play completely different style of thing to what I would normally be learning / practicing. It's brilliant fun. For me, the £130 was quite a lot to lay out on something like this, as I'm not a big pedal guy and I really need / want to spend my time learning to play rather than fiddling with pedals and settings etc., but selling the two other pedals goes a long way to covering the outlay and so far, it seems well worth it. I think already that it's making me look at different styles too, so it might well encourage me to play more and learn more.

It's simplified my "board" just enough too, overall really chuffed so far. :)

Has anyone else got one? How are you getting on with it?

Cheers,

Andy

Pics...

https://i.imgur.com/7Vz3HiG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bLhLYyk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IPKQZ6m.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    I've been impressed with the demos I've seen of it and have been tempted despite the fact I've got so many delays already.

Glad you're enjoying it, definitely get used to the Looper it'll bring you no end of joy.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    I considered one before I got a looper as I could get "free" delay, but the loop isn't long enough for what I want I don't think, and I don't really use delay so got the ditto!  Reviews look good - glad you are pleased with it.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Yeah, thanks, I am going to try and take that advice and persevere with it. I just can't get the timing quite right, I think I just need to spend longer practicing with it. I did make a wee breakthrough with it on Sunday, I'll hopefully manage to make some more progress soon.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    The timing is all about practice. I find it's best to play through the bars of whatever you're looping first then tap record on the second go round
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, that's my thinking too. I seem to always start from a "standing start" and sort of panic a bit and rush it then mess up closing it off... and wonder why I end up with a big gap.

@munckee It does a 62 second loop with infinite overdubs, which is plenty for me time-wise. I figured I could kill a few birds with one stone with this pedal and if I do outgrow the loop function then I think I am probably wanting a more fully featured dedicated loop pedal anyway. But I think that's a long way off, if ever, given my relatively novice level of playing. I think the TC Flashback is pretty much like for like with the Canyon, I'm not sure how extensive its looper function is though.

So far I'm finding the digital delay much more like what I want than the analogue one was, it's really handy that it can do both though. I actually really liked the Ibanez pedal, but this can just do more sounds.
    The Flashback 2 is a bit more money and has a 40 second loop but also has 3 Toneprint slots you can customise.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170616311432008--tc-electronic-flashback-2-delay

• The EHX sounds better than the flashback to my ears

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Been playing more with it tonight and it’s serious fun. I’ve not heard the Flashback in the flesh but the reviews of the Canyon are a pretty accurate representation of how it sounds to me in person.
  • The other guitarist has one. It's a great pedal

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited April 2018
    I did a really short video on how to count into a loop. Might help you.

Basically, vocally count the beats. And step on the looper for start record and stop record on the count "One". 

Hey, thanks for that. Really useful, I’ll try some more tonight. Cheers!
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    I bought one last summer - it's fantastic. I don't need the looper so not bothered about it's limitations. I think the basic delays work well - I generally use 'Tape' or 'DMM' live, but the digital and modulated are great too. I also use Shimmer on one song - I've tweaked the secondary functions so it sounds like an organ/string synth hybrid and it's fun to kick it in and have an invisible keybd player! 
    I would like to figure out how to get the best out of the reverse mode - anyone got any ideas on settings? 
    Good to hear you're still enjoying the pedal after a few months of use. I always wonder if there's a novelty factor with pedals like this that will wear off quickly, but I'm really impressed and it's making me think about things I never even considered before and it already feels like I'll keep it for a long time. I really like the basic settings too, particularly the Multi delay, which can sneak up on you a little bit and end up louder than expected for the house with other folk around. It's superb though.

I will figure out what else I can do with this, the secondary functions seem to open up a load of possibilities.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    andyp said:
    Hey, thanks for that. Really useful, I’ll try some more tonight. Cheers!
    let us know how you get on. If you're doing any other time signatures, you want to do the same too. So, in 3/4 time signature, you press start and stop on the "one". you can do as many bars as you want as long as you stop on the "one".

For example: if you were doing 4 bars of 3/4

/one (start loop), two, three/ one, two, three/ one, two, three/ one, two, three/ one (stop loop)
    Cheers! Having so far found Looping to be my sort of "nemesis", this is now sounding like fun!