E string boing noise?

What's Hot
Hi guys i get a HORRID boing type springy noise when fretting the E string and to a lesser extent sometimes the A string too, i’m sure it can’t be right as it sounds awful but i’ve only been playing a month so could it be my technique? my guitar is a Yamaha erg121c that my local music shop restrung and setup before they sold it to me if that helps? thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    How odd. Is the string rattling against the frets when you play it? I've never heard a boing noise in a guitar before.
  • Half the people on this forum would probably buy a pedal to get that sound.  ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh, i was hoping it’s a common setup problem like maybe the action is a little low, as you suspect carlos i think the string i vibrating against other frets, if i fret it really hard it doesn’t do it but i mean uncomfortably hard, it only does it then if i pick harder too.  
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited April 2018
    Sounds like the action is a little low on the low E and the A strings. Should be easy enough for the shop (or yourself if you're feeling confident) to adjust.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Raise the saddle on the offending strings by a half turn and test. Then keep doing that until the boing goes away
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
    Not sure exactly what you mean by boingy/springy but it could also be the springs in the back of the guitar vibrating. Take the back panel off and see if the springs vibrate when you hit the strings. I’ve had this happen before and it sounds pretty odd.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Can you make a recording of this noise? On your phone, perhaps? You could upload it to YouTube or Soundcloud...
  • thanks i’ll try it, just need find a tiny allen key

carlos said:
    Raise the saddle on the offending strings by a half turn and test. Then keep doing that until the boing goes away

• tried youtube but no joy, never used sound cloud i’ll check 

DLM said:
    Can you make a recording of this noise? On your phone, perhaps? You could upload it to YouTube or Soundcloud...

• HAL9000 said:
    Sounds like the action is a little low on the low E and the A strings. Should be easy enough for the shop (or yourself if you're feeling confident) to adjust.
    thanks ive done 3 half turns (tuned and tried after each half turn) and its loads better now, =) i understand it has cheaper frets etc only being an entry level guitar but i really like it so i dont mind spending a little on it service wise if needed until i upgrade later in the year. thanks again HAL9000 and everyone who responded
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Djent, they call it.
  • carlos said:
    thanks mate worked a treat
    For your reference, that's called fret buzz, when the vibrating string hits other frets. I wouldn't describe it as a boing, but to each their own. This will be exacerbated by hitting the string too hard which, as a beginner, you're likely to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom