Ant McPartlin

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    At the first company I worked for after I left practice (as an accountant) they paid a fair old whack for an insurance policy that gave certain employees a driver if they were convicted of drunk driving and lost their licence. That sort of thng is illegal now, thankfully.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    edited April 2018
    What I think is weird is that you don't really get punished for what you've done but more the consequences of what you've done. By way of example, if he had drunk exactly the same and driven exactly the same but someone had stepped into the road and he'd hit and killed them, he'd have been prosecuted for causing death by drink driving and be facing a jail stretch Likewise, the difference between 'dangerous driving' and 'causing death by dangerous driving'. But those consequences are to a large extent out of your control and more a matter of luck? He's still done the same thing. 

I appreciate that if you do something like this, you take the consequences but I just don't get why there are different offences depending on the (uncontrollable) consequences of what you have done.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Hattigol said:
    What I think is weird is that you don't really get punished for what you've done but more the consequences of what you've done. By way of example, if he had drunk exactly the same and driven exactly the same but someone had stepped into the road and he'd hit and killed them, he'd have been prosecuted for causing death by drink driving and be facing a jail stretch Likewise, the difference between 'dangerous driving' and 'causing death by dangerous driving'. But those consequences are to a large extent out of your control and more a matter of luck? He's still done the same thing. 

I appreciate that if you do something like this, you take the consequences but I just don't get why there are different offences depending on the (uncontrollable) consequences of what you have done.
    That's inevitable though - the offence usually only becomes detected at the point it has consequences.

It's equally likely that if he had drunk the same amount, driven in the same way but missed both cars, he would probably have got away with it entirely and just had a couple of people shouting at him for driving like a dick.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    edited April 2018
    ICBM said:
    Hattigol said:

That's inevitable though - the offence usually only becomes detected at the point it has consequences.

It's equally likely that if he had drunk the same amount, driven in the same way but missed both cars, he would probably have got away with it entirely and just had a couple of people shouting at him for driving like a dick.
    I don't think it's inevitable. He could easily have just been randomly breathalysed. And his punishment for that, as opposed to driving into someone, would have been different. But he's done the same thing in both situations i.e. drink-driving.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Kilgore said:
    Apparently the crash happened because he was on the wrong side. It's surprising that the police didn't assume he was Dec.
    Brilliant
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I'm not a fan, I have to say.
    But I'm glad nobody was harmed and I hope he gets himself sorted out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    joeyowen said:
    One question I haven't figured out, 
    His mum was in the car with him, so was she drunk? Unaware? Or a dick as well?

Wish him well in his recovery, but I struggle to sympathise with drink driving

It was reported that she didn't know.
    Hattigol said:

I don't think it's inevitable. He could easily have just been randomly breathalysed. And his punishment for that, as opposed to driving into someone, would have been different. But he's done the same thing in both situations i.e. drink-driving.
    Obviously he's done the same thing, but he would have hardly been 'easily' randomly breathalysed... the level of policing for this sort of thing is next to non-existent. The vast majority of drink-drivers continue to get away with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Fretwired said:

If it was you or me we'd be buggered and have to use public transport.
    Blimey, sentencing guidelines have changed a bit since I did my law degree.

I cannot understand how the law approaches drunk driving when the offender has either been convicted of it before or has multiples of the permitted alcohol level in his/her bloodstream. Why should they be allowed to drive again?

Would be harsh to say they can never drive again.  I've got a couple of friends who used to have alcohol issues.  As far as I know, neither of them has touched a drop in around 20 years.  If they had got done for drink driving before they had cleaned themselves up, then it wouldn't really be fair on them that they couldn't drive now.

I don't think that those of us who haven't experienced it have any real understanding of alcoholism.  There was a guy at my work who drank himself to death.  We didn't know he even had a real problem with it.  he used to drink at home, and not tell anyone.  He must have known what it was doing to him but he couldn't stop.  People with a genuine alcohol dependency just don't think rationally about it.

I don't know how bad Ant's situation is, but he only lives half a mile or so from me, and by all accounts he spends a lot of time in one or two of the local pubs.  With all he's going through splitting up from his wife, that won't have helped his mental state either.

Crunchman you must live near me. Its not your loud blues i hear walking in Chiswick House is it?

have to admit ant and dec are both normal guys when you meet them buying fags at Ravis, alcohol problem notwithstanding

• DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    Drink driving is unforgivable whoever you are ......losing a licence for a year is not adequate punishment.
     But,irrespective of his earning power the fine is an opportunist disgrace ........he should pay exactly the same as everybody else with a conviction for similar levels of alcohol.
    Funny how they didn't do that but ban him for 5 years which is more appropriate but less profitable.
    The fine is 3 days work for him, it won't hurt him but the principle is a disgrace.........
    Do you give young burglars longer sentences than middle age ones because they have a longer life expectancy ?
    Do you give rich murderers 50 years and poor ones 30 years ?
    Do you give rich sex offenders more time than poor ones ?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Blaendulais said:
    buying fags
    Trafficking offence! Book 'em, Dan-o.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Drink driving is unforgivable whoever you are ......losing a licence for a year is not adequate punishment.
     But,irrespective of his earning power the fine is an opportunist disgrace ........he should pay exactly the same as everybody else with a conviction for similar levels of alcohol.
    Funny how they didn't do that but ban him for 5 years which is more appropriate but less profitable.
    The fine is 3 days work for him, it won't hurt him but the principle is a disgrace.........
    The principle is not a disgrace, and it is not opportunistic. It's not some arbitrary number, it's worked out on a properly calculated scale relative to income. 

He *has* been fined exactly the same as anyone else with a similar conviction - two-thirds of his weekly income. Anyone else being fined for the same level of offence would also pay a fine equal to three days work for them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited April 2018
    I admire that he pleaded guilty and didn't try to weasel his way out of it. He attended the court in person when he could have had it dealt with in his absence and he came out and faced the press.   He accepted he was in the wrong, seemed genuinely contrite, shamed and apologetic.  I expect that this will hang over him for a very long time and have a deeper impact than the fine.  I hope it shakes him up enough to get the help he needs and he moves on from this.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    I’m possibly in a minority’s when I say I like the guy, or rather how he presents himself after all I don’t know him.  I think the punishment is fair, it’s not a lot of money to him and I imagine a driving ban is a right inconvenience even if you have a driver. I hope he gets the help he needs he seems to be a full blown alcoholic.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    ICBM said:
    Dominic said:
    The principle is not a disgrace, and it is not opportunistic. It's not some arbitrary number, it's worked out on a properly calculated scale relative to income. 

He *has* been fined exactly the same as anyone else with a similar conviction - two-thirds of his weekly income. Anyone else being fined for the same level of offence would also pay a fine equal to three days work for them.
    Although him losing 2/3 rds of his income is not as effective as someone on £200 a week losing the same percentage income. It's mathematically equal but not real world equal. I actually think there should be a sliding scale up to 1 month's + income. If the idea behind is to hit people where it hurts it has to be effective.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    The guy is popular. I'm sure that after rehab if he's OK and quits being an alcoholic he can resume his career. It's happened to people in public life before, including government ministers.
    Ha ha - 'after rehab if he's ok and quits being an alcoholic he can resume his carer'

Your an addict for life - you don't quit being an addict - its a life long condition that requires management like any other mental health issue (for that is what addiction is - an illness) 

Is it possible that this person, whose life, like all of ours, is complex, though in different ways, needs help and support?

What are the value of entirely punitive measures? (what would they actually be and what would they be intended to achieve?)

I think the more pertinent questions are what causes a person to behave in a reckless and self destructive manner and how can we help change these patterns of behaviour?

(this is a man who from some peoples perspective has it all - recognition from his peers, wealth, popularity, achievement etc - yet still he behaved in a destructive and dysfunctional manner - why - because addiction is an illness and we must re evaluate how we approach its management)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I imagine the stress of keeping up the chirpy chappy image from being a young boy up until now is very stressful, the un-reality of it must feel wierd, i don't think its any coincidence that loads of child stars go down the shitpan. I think long term what needs to be looked at is how these kids are pushed and preened and manipulated to be famous and to stay there and to have a ridiculous workrate.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Fretwired said:
    The guy is popular. I'm sure that after rehab if he's OK and quits being an alcoholic he can resume his career. It's happened to people in public life before, including government ministers.
    Ha ha - 'after rehab if he's ok and quits being an alcoholic he can resume his carer'

Your an addict for life - you don't quit being an addict - its a life long condition that requires management like any other mental health issue (for that is what addiction is - an illness) 

Is it possible that this person, whose life, like all of ours, is complex, though in different ways, needs help and support?

What are the value of entirely punitive measures? (what would they actually be and what would they be intended to achieve?)

I think the more pertinent questions are what causes a person to behave in a reckless and self destructive manner and how can we help change these patterns of behaviour?

(this is a man who from some peoples perspective has it all - recognition from his peers, wealth, popularity, achievement etc - yet still he behaved in a destructive and dysfunctional manner - why - because addiction is an illness and we must re evaluate how we approach its management)

Bravo.

THIS.

You don't ever stop being an addict. Likewise you can't help suffering from depression. And all those who just say "man up" or "deal with it" or think that materialistic stuff changes a person's ability to deal with it show their utter lack of empathy and understanding of it - and frankly, a lot of them need to shut the fuck up as they often make situations worse.

TBH, for someone who is and has been in the public eye for so long, having to admit his failings and that he'd "let people down" probably means more than all the fines in the world. Well, it would for anyone with any integrity - and I get the feeling that despite it all, both of them have that.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    He won't even miss that amount of money, and what lesson exactly has he learned from that?, none.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Chris777 said:
    He won't even miss that amount of money, and what lesson exactly has he learned from that?, none.
    How do you know?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom