The Pedal Finishing Thread - Painting, Coating, Drilling, Envirotex, etc

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 934
    edited July 8
    Philtre said:
    Octafish said:

    I thought about doing that, two concerns....
    • Two layers of clear vinyl might be a bit thick and look rough around the edges.
    • The clear inkjet vinyl seems to have a slightly tacky surface that picks up fingerprints even when not printed on.
    If I was to try the madbean method I would want to use the sticky vinyl film Libraries use to protect books like this
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. I'll still try though as proof of concept.
    I've got some of that non-printable clear sticky vinyl somewhere. Will have a go with that at some point. Probably best to stick the clear protective layer over the printed layer before cutting out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    I've done my proof of concept. :-)

    I printed out the colour label and then, as @Octafish rightly points out, stuck the clear layer over that and then cut the whole thing out and stuck it to the enclosure. It's fine and I quite like it.

    I scratched it up a bit with my fingernail and, as expected, it left marks, but not too bad. Did the same with an Envirotexed pedal and that also left marks.

    Now I'll leave it a few days and kick it around a bit and see if the edges curl up or any issues arise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1671
    Philtre said:
    To start the ball rolling here's a link to a great guide on finishing a pedal by Cleggy and JuanSolo:

    http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/finishing.html

    This is the de facto guide to finishing a pedal - so props to them!
    Cheers! Though the link no longer works as my hosting expired, it's now here:


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    juansolo said:
    Philtre said:
    To start the ball rolling here's a link to a great guide on finishing a pedal by Cleggy and JuanSolo:

    http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/finishing.html

    This is the de facto guide to finishing a pedal - so props to them!
    Cheers! Though the link no longer works as my hosting expired, it's now here:


    Thanks! I updated the link in the original post.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    edited July 8
    Philtre said:
    I've done my proof of concept. :-)

    I printed out the colour label and then, as @Octafish rightly points out, stuck the clear layer over that and then cut the whole thing out and stuck it to the enclosure. It's fine and I quite like it.

    I scratched it up a bit with my fingernail and, as expected, it left marks, but not too bad. Did the same with an Envirotexed pedal and that also left marks.

    Now I'll leave it a few days and kick it around a bit and see if the edges curl up or any issues arise.
    I used this transparent sticker film as the top layer because that's all I have right now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0725Z8CVB/

    Then I did an experiment - I ran the whole lot under the hot tap. Then a gooey layer of the transparent film started to come off in small lumps. After a bit of rinsing and a final rub down with meths it came up really shiny and smooth. And the fingernail grooves I put in (deliberately) disappeared. It looks great! My next pedal will be done this way...


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    Further to my experiment of transparent sticker over inkjet sticker, here's one I put together today. It's a Zendrive clone, I've tried to show where the transfer meets the edge of the enclosure. I'm happy with this approach.

    I'm going to miss the smell of Envirotex... ;)


    dune1



     dune2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 74
    Angon, I go away for 5 minutes and you're off the 'Tex??? Outrageous! :lol: 

    It looks good, although it doesn't seem (certainly in the photo at any rate) to have quite the same sheen as the ET pedals.  I can appreciate it must be miles quicker and easier though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    It's shiny enough for me. And the beauty is it's easy enough to peel it off and put on another one if you change your mind. =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 74
    That is very true. Have you given it a good kicking yet? :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    SteveF said:
    That is very true. Have you given it a good kicking yet? :) 
    Oh yes, I duffed it up real good. B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 934
    Philtre said:
    It's shiny enough for me. And the beauty is it's easy enough to peel it off and put on another one if you change your mind. =)
    That looks good, will have to try one myself. Was it any harder applying the doubled up sticker to the enclosure?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    Octafish said:
    Philtre said:
    It's shiny enough for me. And the beauty is it's easy enough to peel it off and put on another one if you change your mind. =)
    That looks good, will have to try one myself. Was it any harder applying the doubled up sticker to the enclosure?
    I messed up the first time when I put the clear sticker over the inked one because I puckered it. But apart from that, it was fine. So far it's looking good. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? I peel it off and out another sticker on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 2756
    Let me know how it looks as it gets use and knocked about.  I’m a bit dubious about how good it’ll look in a few years vs a ‘tex finish.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    Adam_MD said:
    Let me know how it looks as it gets use and knocked about.  I’m a bit dubious about how good it’ll look in a few years vs a ‘tex finish.  
    OK, I'll report back in a few years. =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1498
    Philtre said:
    Further to my experiment of transparent sticker over inkjet sticker, here's one I put together today. It's a Zendrive clone, I've tried to show where the transfer meets the edge of the enclosure. I'm happy with this approach.

    I'm going to miss the smell of Envirotex... ;)


    dune1



     dune2
    @Philtre that sticker approach looks great, I can't even tell where the sticker ends - is it right at the black outline?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 694
    @BigMonka Yes, it is. You can, in real life, actually see the sticker raised slightly on the actual pedal, but no more than like those Electro Harmonix pedals, and certainly not even an issue when the pedal is on the floor.

    The pedal is still looking good to me. There may be a "gotcha" after some time has passed - maybe the sticker will peel at the edges or contract or pucker up, or something. I'll wait and see. Worst case scenario is to simply peel it off, put on another one and Envirotex over the top if this plan fails. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1498
    Cool, thanks ;
    The sticker approach might be suitable for those of us who only want to make a couple of pedals so buying a vat of envirotex works out quite expensive per pedal.

    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.