Epiphone Valve Special

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
edited April 2018 in Amps
I've just acquired an Epiphone Valve Special and only being the second amp I've owned (first being a Vox VX II) I want to learn a bit about it from any that have had experience.

Is a bit of hum normal when turned on?

When being turned on there sometimes is a popping sound, as if in an empty hall (if that makes sense), is that normal or indicative of something?

I guess it is around 12-13 years old, would there be any benefit from changing the tubes? If yes what and where is good to source them from?

Other than the above I'm very happy with the sound (but don't have any experience of tube amps to compare with) and do like how it can be played pretty quietly with without the depth of sound being affected too much.

Getting ahead of myself now (can't help tinkering) I assume the two silver cylinders contain tubes... how does one remove the cover/cylinder?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    A bit of hum is normal. It's hard to describe how much isn't, if you're not familiar with valve amps... but this is a single-ended amp, so it will hum a little more than some others. It can also be a sign of a worn valve (usually power).

A popping sound when turning on is usually nothing to worry about. If the source of the pop or something it affects is upstream of the reverb, that will give a 'hall' sound.

The power valve - the EL84, the one not under the covers - is likely to need changing I think. Although it's hard to be sure it's not a photographic artifact, the discolouration at the top of the valve (bottom in the pic) doesn't look right and it it does actually look like that in reality, is the sign of a very worn valve.

You get the silver covers off by turning them until the 'bayonet' lugs line up with the two small notches you can see. It's usually hard to turn them because the rubber o-ring grips the chassis and the cover. The preamp valves are under them, but probably won't need changing, at least not just because of age/use - they can last a very long time.

Does that help?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    edited April 2018
    ICBM said:
    A bit of hum is normal. It's hard to describe how much isn't, if you're not familiar with valve amps... but this is a single-ended amp, so it will hum a little more than some others. It can also be a sign of a worn valve (usually power).

A popping sound when turning on is usually nothing to worry about. If the source of the pop or something it affects is upstream of the reverb, that will give a 'hall' sound.

The power valve - the EL84, the one not under the covers - is likely to need changing I think. Although it's hard to be sure it's not a photographic artifact, the discolouration at the top of the valve (bottom in the pic) doesn't look right and it it does actually look like that in reality, is the sign of a very worn valve.

You get the silver covers off by turning them until the 'bayonet' lugs line up with the two small notches you can see. It's usually hard to turn them because the rubber o-ring grips the chassis and the cover. The preamp valves are under them, but probably won't need changing, at least not just because of age/use - they can last a very long time.

Does that help?
    Absolutely!

The valve does look like it does in the photo, so I will replace it. Any particular brands/sources I should look at/avoid?

Thank you very much for the reply: )
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    FWIW if the mains i/p is connected to the 230V tap on the transformer, move it to the 240V tap. I had a VJ that ate o/p valves for breakfast until that modification. Bother ye not with the standby.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    The valve does look like it does in the photo, so I will replace it. Any particular brands/sources I should look at/avoid?
    JJs are the most robust of the modern EL84s. Karltone does them singly and cheaply.

FWIW if the mains i/p is connected to the 230V tap on the transformer, move it to the 240V tap. I had a VJ that ate o/p valves for breakfast until that modification. Bother ye not with the standby.
    Yes, if it has a 240V tap then do that - it will run the valve cooler.

Using the standby switch is fine on this amp, since it doesn't have a valve rectifier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    Thanks again for the advice and I'll have a look at the transformer.
    ICBM said:

Using the standby switch is fine on this amp, since it doesn't have a valve rectifier.
    Can't a silicon bridge get killed by an inrush of current? Or is the switch after the reservoir caps?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

Can't a silicon bridge get killed by an inrush of current?
    Not really - the current rating of even a basic 1N4007 is high enough that there's no risk. In fact, these are exactly the type of amps where a standby switch *is* useful, by avoiding applying the full HT before the valves have warmed up - this is actually more of an issue for the filter caps than the valves, especially the ones further down the chain.

ylsned :)