Recommend Me a Hard Case Please

What's Hot
SparkySparky Frets: 90
I'm finding that increasingly my Sigma OOO is travelling with me and the flimsy gig bag I have is not going to do the very nice mahogany body any good, so I've decided to buy a hard case.

Any suggestions you kind people have would be most welcome. I don't mind used or new, it won't be flying, but will travel in the boot of my car and visit various locations where the uninitiated public may pass by without giving it the consideration it deserves.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Get a Hiscox. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2018
    KKJale said:
    Get a Hiscox. 
    Exactly this. Nothing will beat it for protection, worth every penny. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 for Hiscox. It also offers great thermal protection, so it cools/heats a lot slower. Good for arriving with the guitar still in tune.  
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    And another vote for Hiscox. Fantastic cases.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Another vote for Hiscox.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Thank you gentlemen. Hiscox was on my list and they are local to me, perhaps they offer Staffordshire discount! 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Hiscox.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Not a hard case, but Mono gig bags give a lot of protection, and are less cumbersome.  Not cheap though.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited April 2018
    Sparky said:
    Thank you gentlemen. Hiscox was on my list and they are local to me, perhaps they offer Staffordshire discount! 
    I believe you can visit by appointment and get the case properly fitted - i’d definitely look into that option. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sparky said:
    I believe you can visit by appointment and get the case properly fitted - i’d definitely look into that option. 
    Did just that for one of my guitars - unusual shape. It helped that they did some of the original cases for the manufacturer for these guitar types for the Europe market and were only too welcome to do a case for me.

Fantastic service.

And if you're lucky, you get to meet/chat with one of the former lead singers for Uriah Heep.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

Another vote for Hiscox.

They also float :) In case of a flooding or lost at sea type incident (you just never know!).

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

crunchman said:
    Not a hard case, but Mono gig bags give a lot of protection, and are less cumbersome.
    I'm not sure I quite agree with that, and I do own both.

The Mono is incredibly good for a gig bag, and by far the easier to carry a long distance or on public transport - and has a lot of useful pocket space - but it's really very heavy for a gig bag and surprisingly awkward if you're *not* putting it on your back. I've never weighed them, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Mono was slightly heavier than the Hiscox. (Not quite directly comparable because the Mono is a bass case and the Hiscox an acoustic case.)

I always use the Mono for my Rickenbacker bass, but I'm not in a hurry to get one for my Martin 12-string really - the main thing it does not protect well against is crushing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    I have one of the fancier Hiscox cases for my Brook, and the case will take my weight (a little over 100kg) standing on it. Not a recommended test procedure, nor would i try jumping (!), but an indication of their toughness.
    Kalimna said:
    I have one of the fancier Hiscox cases for my Brook, and the case will take my weight (a little over 100kg) standing on it. Not a recommended test procedure, nor would i try jumping (!), but an indication of their toughness.
    There's a Hiscox demo video which shows something like six or seven of the staff standing on one all at the same time! Around half a ton in total... with a guitar inside.

That i could believe. Not sure i'd do that tho!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    Begbie Its one of the best scripts Ive fking read Trainspotting 2 set for big things
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thermionic - thread ender :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Never heard of Begby cases :)

• ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    Not a hard case, but Mono gig bags give a lot of protection, and are less cumbersome.

The Mono is incredibly good for a gig bag, and by far the easier to carry a long distance or on public transport - and has a lot of useful pocket space - but it's really very heavy for a gig bag and surprisingly awkward if you're *not* putting it on your back. I've never weighed them, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Mono was slightly heavier than the Hiscox. (Not quite directly comparable because the Mono is a bass case and the Hiscox an acoustic case.)

I always use the Mono for my Rickenbacker bass, but I'm not in a hurry to get one for my Martin 12-string really - the main thing it does not protect well against is crushing.
    i have found the reverse TBH, i dont find my mono bag particularly heavy at all, certainly not awkward to carry around, in fact one of the most well balanced cases of any description i have used.  For sensible, real world usage I wouldnt go back to hard cases at all, they really are cumbersome etc etc.  for the OP's needs i would heartily recommend Mono, i have 3 all of which i got 2nd hand for around £75 each.
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

i have found the reverse TBH, i dont find my mono bag particularly heavy at all, certainly not awkward to carry around, in fact one of the most well balanced cases of any description i have used.  For sensible, real world usage I wouldnt go back to hard cases at all, they really are cumbersome etc etc.  for the OP's needs i would heartily recommend Mono, i have 3 all of which i got 2nd hand for around £75 each.
    They certainly look interesting but I can't get over the fact that it looks like a gig bag with a tyre stuck to the bottom of it. Used, there are no where near as many as there are used Hiscox cases. I think I'd rather buy a Hiscox for the added impact protection. Thanks for the suggestion though.