Ways of justifying a new guitar purchase?

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
Just been lucky enough to splash some cash on a NGD. As ever, it took some internal wrangling before I pushed the button and went for it. I'm guessing that most people have the same thought process:

Do I need it?
Can I justify it?
Can I cope with the financial hit?

The argument that usually persuades my conscience that it's alright is the one that if you buy at the right price, you're not actually 'spending' any money at all. What I mean is that if you buy a guitar which you know you will be able to sell on at that price, there's an argument for saying that you haven't actually spent any money at all - you have just shifted your assets. In accounting terms, you have debited your cash account and credited your guitar account - but you still have the same overall net worth and you can always liquidise your assets if you need to by selling the guitar.

There. I've convinced myself again.

Anyone else got any ideas on justifying purchases?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do I need it?  No
    Can I justify it? No
    Can I cope with the financial hit? Probably not
    Is the Mrs going to use my gentleman's veg as a necklace if I get another guitar? Definitely
    Does it look cool? YES

= NGD

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27446
    Hattigol said:

Anyone else got any ideas on justifying purchases?
    Don't.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    Well the price is so good that I’d be foolish not to, and I flipped those pedals and my amp so in fact it works out practically free, or at least cost-neutral.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Simple formula is this. 

Q. Do I have one in my collection?
    A 1. No so it’s justified. 
    A 2. Yes but need a spare so it’s justified. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Q: Do I want it?
    A: Yes

Ker-ching.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    just get it, you might get run over tomorrow  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Is it an incy wincy bit different from the guitars you already have? Then, you NEED it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    PS. It's debit guitar, credit cash, not the other way round....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone knows the equation for new guitars.  N+1

*N equals the number of guitars you already have!

This equation can be applied at any time

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If I can afford it, I do it, simple.......life is not a rehearsal....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    paulnb57 said:
    If I can afford it, I do it, simple.......life is not a rehearsal....
    I agree with this. I have a friend who owns about a dozen guitars - he’s not a great player - but loves guitars and can afford them.

Money’s been tight for me for a number of years but if something I want can be bought without getting into debt - or causing an avoidable hardship - I don’t think you should deprive yourself.

My only other ‘rule’ is ‘buy used’ wherever possible....
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    edited April 2018
    Hattigol said:
    you have debited your cash account and credited your guitar account
    There you go. It's simply an investment, and one that you can enjoy at that. Otherwise the cash would just be sitting in the bank gathering dust.

One last question you should probably ask:
    Do I have space to store it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’m not in a position to buy guitars at present, but those I do have I own for a simple reason... Do they offer something different? Pickup combination. Look. Feel. Overall sound. For me a different neck profile, hard tail or vibrato, etc make me adjust my playing style. That’s how I justify it.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    1 - It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    2 - Keep doing it and the other half gets used to it. Wear 'em down eventually.
    3 - Learn from the Thatcher tactic - push for something, then settle for something less, which is what you really wanted anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I'm being flippant (?) new stuff is funded by selling or trading, something goes to make cash & space. I mostly have to want something or fancy a different style or sound, though have bought things on a whim before (a Jazzmaster and a motorbike once when she went out for the night).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Corvus said:
    I'm being flippant (?) new stuff is funded by selling or trading, something goes to make cash & space. I mostly have to want something or fancy a different style or sound, though have bought things on a whim before (a Jazzmaster and a motorbike once when she went out for the night).
    The Jazzmaster and the motorbike on the same night? Hell of a night if so!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    Alternatively: “Just LOOK at it...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited April 2018
    just get it, you might get run over tomorrow  B
    Totally agree. Without getting too morbid  etc I've seemed to have survived most of my immediate family and I ain't that old either. So I've come to the conclusion that life is too short. I don't buy carelessly but after much consideration and research I may buy stuff I perhaps shouldn't or can't comfortably afford but nothing too drasticly expensive. I guess it's all relative anyway. 

I'm about to take a huge plunge for me in getting a guitar built for me but it's something I've always wanted but hadn't been sure in what I wanted etc. In terms of justifying it to the Mrs/partner just forget it unless they are a guitarist also otherwise they'll never understand. As long as it doesn't leave you enough for the mortgage or food for the family etc
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Corvus said:
    The Jazzmaster and the motorbike on the same night? Hell of a night if so!

:) No, spread those out - admirable restraint eh :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    Hattigol said:

The argument that usually persuades my conscience that it's alright is the one that if you buy at the right price, you're not actually 'spending' any money at all. 
    I've used that one a lot. Even buying new (at clearance prices), and when I've ended up selling, I've usually done so for a tiny profit, which just makes it even easier to convince yourself the next time. :)

However, there is a 'downside'. I now have a collection of guitars that I really don't want to sell - in those cases that cash has really been converted into a long term guitar asset. The guitar account is filling up, and the cash account is looking severely depleted.