Bonamassa gig tickets

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
edited April 2018 in Off Topic

Just had an email through alerting me to Bonamassa gig tickets.

Bournemouth - £163 a pop, unless I'm mistaken?

If not, then FFS!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    And Nottingham Motorpoint for between £78 - £164 incl booking. Plus postage.

Ridiculous prices.

Remind me, what's he like as a live performer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    fandango said:
    And Nottingham Motorpoint for between £78 - £164 incl booking. Plus postage.

Ridiculous prices.

Remind me, what's he like as a live performer?

I've only seen him once - at the Albert Hall gig that was released on DVD.  It was a good gig.  He's better live than recorded.  On the recordings, you can't really filter out his singing voice. Live you can ignore it more easily.  He'd probably sound better if he took some of his songs down a key or three.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I was at the Albert Hall gig, too. I thought it was very good. Seen him a few times since, always a good show but at that price I won't ever be seeing him again.

• ColsCols Frets: 6988
    He’s good live, but not must-see-at-all-costs good.  The ticket prices seem optimistic; I guess all that vintage kit doesn’t come cheap.

Or maybe he’s trying to raise enough money to buy Gibson?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2018
    I booked tickets for my in-laws to see Andre Rieu at the Notts Motorpoint and they’re paying just under a hundred a seat to be right as the back, the other price ranges for better seats were also similar to Bonamassa. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Did you see my post about his Greek Theatre show in LA? I'm there that week but won't be attending...eye wateringly expensive.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    He obviously gets enough sales to justify the high tickets prices he charges, so he or his management know what the market will bear. Still far too rich for me Joe, I won’t be going to see you anytime soon. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Never heard of him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I think I said before that the last Birmingham gig was readvertised many times whereas the same venue a couple of years before sold out on the day of ticket release. Wether that's the cost, the economy or a reduction in our love for Joe I don't know. 

Presumably with Andre Rieu there is an orchestra and when I've paid high prices for things like War of the World's there is a visual spectacle but with Joe it's four blokes playing some blues. Maybe in the costing of these things it isn't that different but I don't feel like I could see where my money would be going.

@not_the_dj presumably your in-laws love Sky Arts, there is so much Rieu on there! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Maybe in the costing of these things it isn't that different but I don't feel like I could see where my money would be going.

I've got a fair idea...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    any single gig for that amount of money is a rip off in my opinion
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    It is obscene but if he was paid the same royalties he would have been paid pre internet we would not have batter an eye lid
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Clarky said:
    any single gig for that amount of money is a rip off in my opinion
    Bingo - He was £100 here (no way)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Maybe in the costing of these things it isn't that different but I don't feel like I could see where my money would be going.

I've got a fair idea...

If that was his stage set up then I’d get the ticket prices. But it was four blokes and a big curtain last time ( fair enough, a really big curtain). I don’t mind him making money but if I’m spending £200 for an evening out I want a significant wow factor. 
    Iron Maiden tickets for August are priced £55 to £68 and JoBo tickets for the same venue started at £68 ( it’s a past event so I can’t see the full range of ticket prices but based on previous experience there was a considerable premium for the front rows). I’m fairly sure Maiden put on a bigger show and are probably more famous/ popular in the scheme of things than Bonamassa so other than ‘ its what the market will withstand’ I don’t see the justification. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited April 2018
    One of the most spectacular live events I’ve seen was Peter Gabriel’s Back to Front tour. Remarkable staging and lighting - and exceptional sound quality. He also had a band comprising some of the best musicians in the world - and an amazing catolgue of songs. It must have cost a fortune to stage.

Admittedly it was getting on for 5 years ago - but tickets were £50. I wouldn’t be prepared pay £50 to see JB....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I wouldn’t be paying anything like £163 a ticket to see anybody.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Maybe in the costing of these things it isn't that different but I don't feel like I could see where my money would be going.

I've got a fair idea...

If that was his stage set up then I’d get the ticket prices. But it was four blokes and a big curtain last time ( fair enough, a really big curtain). I don’t mind him making money but if I’m spending £200 for an evening out I want a significant wow factor. 
    Iron Maiden tickets for August are priced £55 to £68 and JoBo tickets for the same venue started at £68 ( it’s a past event so I can’t see the full range of ticket prices but based on previous experience there was a considerable premium for the front rows). I’m fairly sure Maiden put on a bigger show and are probably more famous/ popular in the scheme of things than Bonamassa so other than ‘ its what the market will withstand’ I don’t see the justification. 
    That goes back to my previous point though. If JoBo was charging twice as much as Iron Maiden and nobody turned up, he’d know he’d got hos pricing wrong. The fact that he still sells out venues at inflated prices tells him he can get away with charging what he does. I’m not saying that his attitude is right (it isn’t IMO, he’s milking it for all he can as far as I can see) but he seems to think that charging what the market will bear is ok. Good luck to him if he can get away with it, but he certainly won’t be getting any more money out of me. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    The man lives  and breathes the blues, it’s roots in the slave trade, the cotton fields the lynchings, the unimaginable hardship, the struggle. Nothing says it more than sitting in front of my computer in my JoBo slippers ordering £100 tickets to sit behind a pillar looking at a videos screen. The real shit. ;)

the boy can play though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I've seen him in Bournemouth twice, few years ago (can't remember exactly - 5 years?).
    I definitely haven't paid that much - it was something around £60 back then. I thought he was really good, although listening to gig like this sat down? Not my thing...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Come guys. You’re being a little harsh here, don’t you think? 

How else is he going to pay for this sort of indulgence?!

https://i.imgur.com/HdTOBq7.png