Pulling 2 tubes froma 100 watt head to make it 50 watts, does it work ??

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited April 2018 in Amps
One of my friends suggested pulling 2 tubes from my 100 watt jcm800 2203 which would make it 50 watts.

I'm gonna assume that it's not as easy as that, but I wondered if anyone had any more info??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It is almost as easy as that.

Pull two valves - one from the pair on each side, it doesn’t matter which* - and set the impedance sector to half the cabinet impedance. That’s it.

Ideally you should check the bias, because the HT voltage will rise slightly, but I’ve never found it makes a practical difference.

It will not make a huge difference to the volume though.

(*On some older JMP Marshalls you should pull the inner pair, because they don’t have grid stopper resistors fitted. This doesn’t apply to any JCM800 or later amp though.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    @ICBM , would it make any sound difference?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    A little, but it will still sound more like a 2203 than a 2204.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson