Who lives nearest to their childhood home? (and who is furthest?)

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
It occurred to me today that my family haven't got far from the family home, still occupied by my mum and dad. My bro is 10 miles away in the next town. My sister is a few minutes walk away and I am just a 5 min drive in the same part of town.

Are you near or far?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited April 2018
    If you're counting the 'family home' as the first one I lived in as a baby, then it went up for sale in 1979 when I was three years old.  I currently live about 110 miles from it.  At least I think I do, I know the village where it's located but that's about it.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited April 2018
    I had a few childhood homes, but one was in NZ for about ten years. Not sure if you could get a lot further. My Mum and step-Dad now live back here, my Dad is in Melbourne, and my bro lives in Toronto. Wish I could swap some of them around every so often :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I'm about 3 miles away. Moved out of town for a while, but ended up back at the place I know best.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    edited April 2018
    6.3 miles, which is the furthest I’ve ever lived from ‘home’. Moved a mile further out, about 2 years ago.

My wife has lived further away, but we’re now just 0.9 miles from her family home.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited April 2018

About 190 miles. 

I grew up in Swansea, the family moved to Hemel Hempstead when I was 18 and all still live in Herts/Bucks, I live in South London.

I still have relatives in South Wales (I think!) but nobody I've kept in touch with.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

My mum and dad still live in the house I grew up in.

When I first moved out I lived about 10 miles away. Since then I've moved about a further 2 miles up the road. So now about 12 miles.

Christmas Eve my wife. kids and I stayed at my mum and dad's. That's the first time I've slept there since I moved out at around 2002. Didn't like it :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited April 2018
    My dad hasn't moved far - he lives 0.3 miles from his childhood home. His grandparents lived across the road from it and his auntie (my grandad's sister) only ever lived in those two houses across from each other, until she died aged 92.

Me and my brothers on the other hand fucked off as soon as we left school. Me to London, with my in-laws in Italy, my next brother in Milton Keynes with kids/house in Spain and my youngest brother lives in Oregon - almost 5,000 miles away on the US west coast.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I'm quite a long way.  We are close to where my wife lived though - within a mile or so.  Her Grandad is 88 (or thereabouts) and still lives in the house he was born in.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited April 2018
    Although I don't live where I was born, I live under half a mile from the two main house I lived in as a child.  My kids go to school with the kids of the people I was at school with. 

For 40 of the 43 years of my life I have lived in one town.  The junior school which is 100 yards from my house is where I went, then did my work experience at, then my daughter went there, then I was a governor of the school.

When I went back for a visit once they have books with work from previous pupils in and a poem I wrote in 1983 was in there!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I grew up in Wymondham, right in the middle of Norfolk. I now live in Abu Dhabi, which is about 3,500 miles as the crow flies
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    6 miles at the mo, though Lady BMcH and I may be taking over the family home, at which point 0.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    About 16 miles from where I grew up in Wolverhampton. My mother is still there so I still go back quite a bit. About an hour's drive for that distance. Tedious journey. 
    I think the furthest I got away to live was Clapham. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    well according to the AA Route finder i am 354.1 miles away from where i grew up in Inverness 
    Mum and Family and all my mates still live within a 2 mile circle, i seen the light :-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    According to Google I’m 608 miles from my ‘home town’ which I left when I was 17. Been back about twice since. From the South of England to the North of Scotland. Though I suspect @stickyfiddle is going to win this one!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    edited April 2018
    My wife lives probably 300 metres from the house she first lived in after being born. I of course live ther too but i'm about 350 miles away from where i first lived.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    About 16 miles from where I grew up in Wolverhampton. My mother is still there so I still go back quite a bit. About an hour's drive for that distance. Tedious journey. 
    Did you move into a basement with a girl who left when your drinking became a proper stinking : )
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    munckee said:
    Did you move into a basement with a girl who left when your drinking became a proper stinking : )
    Haha . No. I lived in a flat above a youth centre with a Dutch chap who collected a lot of leaflets about AIDS. I can't really remember what he looked like but every surface seemed to be covered in leaflets. Yet Squeeze never sang about that, the selfish bastards. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I live a 10 minute walk away from my childhood home.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    1.5 miles according to Google maps. Born and live in the same town.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I still live in the same house that I was born in.  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom