Who lives nearest to their childhood home? (and who is furthest?)

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I'm living in North  Wales so 220ish miles away from where I grew up in Bath. My parents are now proposing to move to Eastbourne adding another 3hrs to a 5hr journey... 
    Well probably not since I won't go to Eastbourne via bath but the point remains valid! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    167.233 Miles for me.  Depends what you mean by 'childhood home' though....  from 2-ish to 11, it would be 167.233 Miles.  From 11 onwards, it would be 6.186 miles.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    mrkb said:
    its very league of gentleman round here isn't it - Are there any of you that have never left your home town ;-)
    I left and came back.  Although I am 2 mile away from the house I grew up in and in the opposite side of the river... may as well be a different town
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    6,065 miles to here.

The plan is to one day retire here and never ever go anywhere else ever again.  But first things first.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad lives in the house he was born in over 70 years ago. Does that win?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    bodhi said:
    6,065 miles to here.

The plan is to one day retire here and never ever go anywhere else ever again.  But first things first.

Where is that?
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    Google maps says 1336 miles.

Skelmanthorpe (West Yorkshire) to Móricgát, (Hungary).

Not quite Tasmania..............

But that is not counting being a born a child in Dunfermline.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    13 miles....
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    quarky said:

Where is that?
    South Africa - Garden Route.  Mossel Bay in the background.
  • danodano Frets: 1588
    My house literally backs onto my mums house where I grew up. The back of both gardens meet and the kids love crossing "the woods" to go to Grandma's 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    I never did get far. They still only let me out on weekends once my homework is done. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My family home is about 4,2 miles away, we moved away when I was 14 to where I am now. I obviously have not been here since I was 14 but had the chance to buy it 7 years ago when I was 39, we purchased it outright too which is up there as one of the greatest achievements of my life.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    bodhi said:
    6,065 miles to here.

wow... Sidcup has really changed since I was last there
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Far by quite a few miles, and even farther in terms of the finance needed to get back.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    My dad still lives in my childhood home on the Stockport/Manchester border.  Google Maps reckons it's a 231 mile drive from where I live in Dorset to there. All my family is up in Manchester and Stockport. I escaped. 

Where I live now is the furthest I've lived from my childhood home.   I've lived in Lancaster, Morecambe, West Finchley (North London), Shenfield (Essex), Northolt (West London), Dorchester and now a bit further west near Bridport. 

I have no particular pull or yearning to go back north. I was glad to leave. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    About 20-25 miles.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Born and spent first 25 years in Hull, East Yorks and now live in Dorset.  Approx 300 miles away.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Born and spent first 25 years in Hull, East Yorks and now live in Dorset.  Approx 300 miles away.
    Or as the joke goes:

”Where do you live?”

”Poole”

”In Dorset?”

”I can - it’s a lovely place”
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Or as the joke goes:

”Where do you live?”

”Poole”

”In Dorset?”

”I can - it’s a lovely place”
    Sorry dude, but that one goes over my head.  Lived and worked in Poole for 20 years, now working in Weymouth and living in the rural bit in between.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited April 2018
    I actually still live in my childhood home. I moved out for a while in various other properties, but still lived on the same estate.

When my Mam decided to sell the family home she offered it to me and my partner for a good price. I think it’s rather nice that we have started a new family in the same house I lived the majority of my life.

My 2 older sisters and younger brother and my Mam live within about 3 quarters of a mile of me. We are a very close family.

Strangely when me and my partner first met and we were in the very early stages of our relationship, we discovered we actually lived on the same street. Her Mam and Dad still live in the house.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom