Another "how low do you go" thread...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
This time, we're talking tunings.

Which different ones do you use? Not necessarily "low" ones, just tunings you like other than standard.

I personally use Eb and drop Db a lot, as those are the tunings my band uses. I also like D standard and drop C, and keep a guitar in open C too (CGCGCE). I also have a seven-string, which is usually in B although I sometimes tune it up half a step to C standard/drop Bb.

Other, weirder tunings I like:

CGCGCD - similar to open C, I think it's open Csus2 tuning. Very nice.
FAC#FAC# - all in major thirds, so pentatonics have a serious whole-tone flavour which is really cool.

What tunings do you all like?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Standard E. Mostly cos I can't be arsed with anything else......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    edited August 2013
    LOL, I feel much happier now.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2913
    My band plays everything in Eb, just sounds that touch darker which is cool. Other than that I've not really dabbled much, I've tried drop D but not to any great extent. My Yamaha Drop 6 is in C-standard and that sounds pretty cool. I've yet to experiment with open tunings...
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    I've only tried drop d, I think that's what it's called and it felt like cheating.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    mike_l said:
    Standard E. Mostly cos I can't be arsed with anything else......
    this, (apart from acoustics, which are all Eb)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Standard, but occasionally drop d  (all on the JTVariax)  Some of the others confuse me too much.  My theory knowledge is crap.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    John Martyn's favourite; CFCCGD. The two middle strings are in unison - the third string is tuned right down to C.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    Eb for most as it makes singing easier then drop C# I guess from there plus I have a schecter in D standard oh and one in CADGBE.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Eb the tuning of the people... with a Db for a fews songs.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    With 25.5" scale I don't see any point in going any lower than C.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I use drop D occasionally, and EBEEBE which I use for mystical Robbie Krieger-esque psuedo-oriental noodling. I keep my 12-string acoustic tuned down a tone so I can use heavy strings on it, which sounds much better.

I have also tuned a couple of Telecasters as baritones, either B-B or A-A. No mods needed other than widening the nut grooves, and using a bass string (double ball end type with the smaller ball end, larger one cut off) for the low A or B.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Open G for Keef and Pagey. Mainly keep the Tele in this tuning.

Drop D is great fun. But primarily standard E. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    Normally E

Sometimes Eb

Occasionally drop D or drop Db

If i could be bothered setting up a guitar for it, I'd probably try to do drop C as well for killswitch engage type stuff
  • When I'm a master of standard tuning, maybe I'll try something else.

3 or 4 years ago I used my cheap chinese plank tuned down a semitone for the benefit of other people who wanted their song in Eb, so that I could get the effect of some chord shapes that relied on open strings. But otherwise I'm not bothered enough to use anything other than standard tuning
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Mostly E standard, the baritones are B-B and C-C, the short scale Daisy rock is F# standard. I do like tuning the 12 string so that the second course is in 5ths for one-finger power chord flogging.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • My acoustic often ends up in CGDGBE, which I saw in a magazine article about Richard Thompson. You've got standard tuning for the treble strings and a lovely booming bass.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    @NervousJohn that sounds really cool, I'll give that one a go!

I like the sound of the 12-string idea too, Spork. Would that I had a 12er to do it on!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Standard. Sometimes I dabble with other tunings if it benefits a song.  

I dont buy into the drop tune to make something sound heavier.

Drop C is in bass territory 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Bb as standard. Sometimes A depending on what I'm doing and very ocasionally I'll drop the low string down as low as G. I'm cheating though as I play 7's-so basically half a step down :-p
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I spend a lot of time in a variant of Open G - DGDGAD - because I spend endless hours playing simple octave melodies on the 5th and 3rd strings. If I feel in need of a key change I shove the capo on.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience