Favourite Chorus pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    Digitech hardwire CR-7 by a country mile. The studio mode is superb.
    I had one of these, definitely the best digital chorus I’ve ever used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    MXR Analog for me...that would always be my first choice.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    I used to favour the Boss DC-2 but since getting a Maxon CS-550 a year ago I've used nothing else since.

+2 for the Digitech Hardwire Chorus, amazing bit of kit. The phaser in the same series is also an excellent pedal. Phase and digital aren't very good ime but the Hardwire is smooth and organic sounding. Very underrated series.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The Arion stereo chorus is the best I've tried, unfortunately the one I had only works properly on batteries. When plugged in you get crackly breakup when strummed hard.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    MXR Analog here too. Can dial it right down for soft & subtle, or up for the usual stuff. Quiet too. Also liked the Anadimes nice squishy feel but after overdrives it was quite a bit noisier than the MXR.
  • One chorus pedal that doesn't get mentioned much is the big yellow MXR stereo chorus. It's a bit of a pain as it's 18v and when used in mono I found it had too much pitch modulation and made me feel a bit sick.

However if you actually use it properly: IN STEREO, it's really really lovely.

I think I saw John McLaughlin had one on his pedal board and he seems to know what he's doing.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The one I use most of all is the Boss CE-3. I think it's sparkly as opposed to syrupy and is best used in stereo. I also like the Ibanez Bi-Chorus and the Carlsbro Minifex chorus.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited April 2018
    Maynehead said:
    The Arion stereo chorus is the best I've tried, unfortunately the one I had only works properly on batteries. When plugged in you get crackly breakup when strummed hard.
    Ive got the SCH1 on my board atm and its a very nice piece - though not experiencing  issues with dc supply and no breakup as you've mentioned - the tone control is a very useful feature - not quietest of units but versatile inc the faux leslie stuff..

beyond that  I'm currently looking at next generation of trichorus pedals to really nail the Landau / Huff 80's studio tones - Neunaber Inspire -Shiva Audio L'il Wave - Free The Tone Avatar - GAS is a cruel mistress
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    The Providence Anadime chorus is nice too.
    JMP220478 said:
    beyond this I'm currently looking at next generation of trichorus pedals to nail the Landau / Huff 80's studio tones - Neunaber Inspire -Shiva Audio L'il Wave - Free The Tone Avatar - GAS is cruel mistress
    I have the FTT, but haven't had chance to use it in stereo yet, which is kind of the whole point.

I have also just picked-up the Shiva The Wave rack :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Analogman Chorus (with the bright switch)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    Another vote for the Analogman chorus here.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Slimbert said:
    MXR Analog for me...that would always be my first choice.
    Corvus said:
    MXR Analog here too. Can dial it right down for soft & subtle, or up for the usual stuff. Quiet too. Also liked the Anadimes nice squishy feel but after overdrives it was quite a bit noisier than the MXR.
    Another vote for the MXR Analog here.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338

I'm running two: Analogman Mini-Chorus (for EH Small Clone tones) and the Boss CE2-W (for CE-1/CE-2 tones).  Different flavours, but both amazing.  I also have an Ola on my mini board which is great! 

Also consider the Retro-Sonic Chorus - along with the CE2-W, the best CE-1 emulation I've heard!

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886

I really like the EHX Small Clone and the MXR micro chorus for "traditional" chorus sounds (the MXR Analog Chorus / Black Label Chorus are both very good too---despite the cases and names being different the circuits are the same).

However that said I have settled on an EQD Sea Machine. Its not great at "traditional" chorus but as an awesome modulation pedal that happens to do some chorus sounds too I love it.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Analogman chorus owners - Mine annoyingly adds bass and cuts treble. Does a bright switch solve this?

@spirit7 ;; @Majorscale @MrMusic @builttospill ;
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    I don't have the bright switch and mine sounds fine, no big treble cut.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I tend to find this is the best way of getting the best sound from any chorus pedal

;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Lebarque said:
    Analogman chorus owners - Mine annoyingly adds bass and cuts treble. Does a bright switch solve this?

@spirit7 ;; @Majorscale @MrMusic @builttospill ;
    From Analogman...

We now offer a DEEP option which not only makes the chorus thicker at all settings, but moves the frequency spectrum of the chorus down. This enhances the low frequencies. Sounds excellent on guitar too, if you want to be able to dial-in thicker chorus sounds including some warbly, seasick sounds at higher speeds. No extra charge for a fixed DEEP setting, or we can add a push/pull depth knob for $25 extra at time of ordering (or $50 to mod an existing pedal). We can also add a mini toggle 3 position switch for thin / normal / Deep settings, with the thin setting sounding a little like the tc electronics units.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    I don't have the bright or deep switches and mine doesn't cut treble or add bass.
  • SCF all day
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom