11 Strings On A Tele ? Great Results...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
edited April 2018 in Guitar
I must admit, it was the That Pedal Show episode from a few months ago the got me thinking...

I do like my country bends and licks (on a Tele) so have always avoided heavy strings; still I thought I'd try some Ernie Ball Cobalt Power Slinky .11 - .48 on my Masterbuilt Tele.

The results have been very impressive. Just a fuller sound, with no fret buzzes or issues, and a noticeably improved tone and feel.

Superb.

Anyone else gone up a string size or two (as they've got older) ?!?

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    edited April 2018
    No...but i will now.
    Great idea that I want to try.
    Ta Warren
    Jon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Absolutely not! 9s On Fenders and 10s on Gibsons and PRS - at 54 I want to preserve my hands. I’m totally unconvinced ‘big’ strings are needed to get good tone....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Started off playing 11's on Fenders and Gibsons but switched down to 10's in standard tuning. I play in a lot of dropped tunings lower than D so I vary gauges.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Absolutely not! 9s On Fenders and 10s on Gibsons and PRS - at 54 I want to preserve my hands. I’m totally unconvinced ‘big’ strings are needed to get good tone....
    Well, I'm 50 mate ! 

I cannot tell you how good it sounds... the test I guess is a after a rehearsal with the band !
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    9s on my Teles, 10s on my Strat, Anderson, Epi LP etc. And heavier still on my acoustic. Even heavier again on my cheap lap steel and as for my bass....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    11’s on a Tele, Tone to the Bone...love ‘em..!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    10-52 sounds great on a Tele. Easy country bending on the top strings and massive grind and twang on the low strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    This thread is misleading.

There are clearly 6 strings, not 11.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Been there with various Gretches. Made no real difference other than making the guitar harder to play :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Been there with various Gretches. Made no real difference other than making the guitar harder to play :) 
    It is strange and all about different tastes I guess, cos I had some 11s on my ex Gretsch Falcon and loved em too !

Strange, cos in my yute, I only used 9s...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I've been using 11s on everything for 4 years or so.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I've been using 11s on everything for 4 years or so.

Me too.. 11s on both strat and tele + short scales (Collings lc35, LP and 175). So much easier to maintain as well!
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    I'm wedded to 10's.  I bend a lot wth my little finger so I'm reluctant to change now I've got used to it as it's very touch and go!  But your post means I'm going to have to give it a go, especially as others rate 11's.  I went to 9's and hybrid for a spell and didn't like either at all.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I used 11's on a Les Paul a few years ago when I was in a really busy, loud band.  Main reason was I was breaking strings with 10's.  I grew to really like the 11's at that time but a year or so after I went back to 10's because I wasn't playing electric as much.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I used to play Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46s for 30+ years but now it's Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48s on Strat, Tele & Les Paul and Elixir Nanoweb 13-56 on the D28.

Waz, you are a dirty boy posting pics of that Masterbuilt Tele, brazen filth. It looks great! 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Sporky said:
    This thread is misleading.

There are clearly 6 strings, not 11.
    Agreed, I came here to see how someone had managed to cram an extra five Tuners on a Tele Headstock! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    I use 11s on my Jazzmaster and Jag and I've been thinking of switching up on my Tele (main live guitar at the moment). I do over-bend at times and sometimes pull chords out of tune on the Tele so it might help with that. Will try! 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    I like 11s tuned down 1/2 step on strats / teles.

I also have 11s on my 335 (not tuned down). 

I'm hoping to start playing again in a few weeks (following wrist injury) so I might drop to 10s for a bit. 

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Yep, 11s work for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    DrBob said:

I came here to see how someone had managed to cram an extra five Tuners on a Tele Headstock! 
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/squier-tele-12-string-conversion.291485/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson