11 Strings On A Tele ? Great Results...

What's Hot

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    I’m up to 12-52 with wound g on my les paul and jag and love them. I play my acoustic a lot and got so used to soloing on it that any gauge lower than 10-52 (which I like on my strat) feels ridiculously rubber-band-like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I play 11s on all my electrics apart from slide which uses 12s. I'm pretty heavy-handed when I play live and do like to smack the strings pretty hard. This started when I started playing live back in the early 1990s and I always felt that I was on the verge of breaking 9s and 10s. I just went up gauges until I found strings I could play without them feeling like they were going to break all the time.

If I play anything with 9s or 10s now it just feels all squidgy and wrong.
  • redwedgeredwedge Frets: 17
    Flatwound 12 to 52 on all my electrics - anything else feels like cheesewire
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I've been using 11s on everything for 4 years or so.

This
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I've tried 11s on my Tele and whilst I liked the sound (yes, it did make a difference), I did get problems with my hands. So I went back to 10s... no such problems.

I also used 13s on my slide Tele... which was great, apart from the blisters on my right thumb (I play slide with fingers, not a pick).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited April 2018
    10 - 52 on my Strat and my Gretsch.
    10 - 46 on my Tele and PRS at the moment but both of those will soon be changed over to 10 - 52.
    I've tried 11's but the treble strings are just that bit too much for me to bend. I like lots of two tone and tone and a half bends and 11's just ruin my fingers.
    10 - 52 is the perfect hybrid set for me.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2018
    Always used 9s on my electrics. But when I got a Jazzmaster put 11 flatwounds on and liked that. So I decided to up my game and restring some of my other guitars to 10s.

Discovered that I like 10s on the Les Paul and Jaguar, but not on the Tele unless I detuned - the tension seems to much. Maybe heavier gauge strings work better on a shorter neck length?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    Went up to Ernie Ball 11s on my electrics a few years ago - Tele and es339 - and love them. The difference in sound from 10s is subtle, but real, and I still find I can hit bends without too much trouble. Having said that, I rarely bend more than a tone.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    11's are what a tele is made for in my opinion. We are in Eb and it just feels perfect.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    impmann said:
    I've tried 11s on my Tele and whilst I liked the sound (yes, it did make a difference), I did get problems with my hands. So I went back to 10s... no such problems.

I also used 13s on my slide Tele... which was great, apart from the blisters on my right thumb (I play slide with fingers, not a pick).
    try my tele... for some reason my 11s feel like 9s on that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
     dwheeldo said:
    Went up to Ernie Ball 11s on my electrics a few years ago - Tele and es339 - and love them. The difference in sound from 10s is subtle, but real, and I still find I can hit bends without too much trouble. Having said that, I rarely bend more than a tone.

Oh OK, so we can't call you a big bender then? :o

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
     dwheeldo said:

Oh OK, so we can't call you a big bender then? :o
    Depends on how fast you can run...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'm 10's on everything. I'm thinking about switching back to light top/heavy bottom on a couple of guitars soon though.

I tried 11's and 12's on my 339 and Shine respectively but ended up back at 10's on both.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    @wazmeister what's your view of the EB Cobalts vs regular EB nickel wound?

• I’ve recently converted to 9.5’s. To me they feel like 10’s but are easy to play/bend like 9’s but don’t break so easily. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    9s? Ewww.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader

Assumed you had one of these with a broken string

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042

Assumed you had one of these with a broken string
    Ooh, that's quite nice...

I have a Strat XII, and could use a 2nd 12-string (one song with drop-D 12-string tuning!). Maybe I need a Variax?

R.
  • 12-56 on my Tele and both Strats so far. (one Strat is in Eb) all plain G
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    0.12-0.56 is my preference. Took a bit of getting used to at first but your fingers soon catch up