We have lift off on a S type build! (Guitar not a car!)- Behold the Feeder Caketaster!

What's Hot

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Could a mod move this to the making and modding section? My OCD is kicking in.

@theprettydamned

Well my mate is off to his paint supplier this week. So i've decided on white blonde in a nitro finish, dun, dun, dun!

I did have a quick look at the PRS alike, looking good! I shall have to have an in depth read. I'm missing my PRS big time! :(
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nitro blonde is a go-to success story :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So I have bought the following for the build.

Callaham vintage s trem

And basically everything else. The only other parts I'm awaiting are the 8 hole tort guard and a selector tip :D

My friend is waiting for the paint to turn up, going with white blonde :) 

One question, do I have to line the cavity with copper tape? I thought so, but I was told that as the pickups are wax potted then I dont have to.

Also thinking about what to put on the headstock. Really dont want to put a fender logo as that feels wrong to me. Thinking about some sort of 50s logo.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I'd line at least the control cavity and scratchplate. Scratchplate is easy with tape, and use carbon paint for the cavity.

I think @icbm mentioned that shielding everything can add capacitance or something when I asked a similar question.

The noise shielding reduces is not squeal from microphonics (which wax potting reduces) but electrical interference.
    @theprettydamned Cool I'll get a shielding kit from ebay :)
    Right the guitar is going off to my friend shortly to be painted. The pickguard has turned up and now it just needs to be painted and put it together :D
  • Pics, or this thread is nothing ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @theprettydamned

Well because I'm a tart, I bought a Fender 8 hole tort guard from the states. (It was 1/3 the price of a uk sourced one!). Trouble is it turned up a bit bent, well curved slightly. So at the moment It's under a large amount of weighty cookbooks to try and flatten it out.

I did start lusting after a tung oil finish. But white on this one! Maybe tung for a tele build :P
    Well the body and the neck are being painted at the moment. Body has been clear coated, and sprayed blonde. Just need to wait for it to dry, then white goes on, and then nitro. Then the neck needs to be done. So today I wired up the pickguard.

I do need to tidy the wires up at the back. I've not gone with the masking quite yet. Going to see how the guitar gets on initially.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Please tell me you haven't already soldered the wires to thejack socket. It's going to make installation a challenge... ;)
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    You also need to ditch that crappy socket and fit a Switchcraft one.
  • Does anyone have any knowledge of Partcaster (the company) based in Sidmouth, Devon. I've just ordered a Strat rosewood neck from them for £80 to replace the one on my JTV69 Variax. The earlier comment about not buying cheap flamey necks off EBay has got me a little worried that I may have bought a dud.....

Does anyone have any knowledge of Partcaster (the company) based in Sidmouth, Devon. I've just ordered a Strat rosewood neck from them for £80 to replace the one on my JTV69 Variax. The earlier comment about not buying cheap flamey necks off EBay has got me a little worried that I may have bought a dud.....

What makes you think that an £80 neck will be better than the one on your Variax?

edited April 2014
    mart;218508" said:
    Please tell me you haven't already soldered the wires to thejack socket. It's going to make installation a challenge... ;)
    Ah well I did kind cheat, that's an eric johnson style wiring loom from eBay. I wanted to be able to turn the tone down on the bridge pickup specifically.
    And for the sake of a few quid saves my feeble attempt at soldering pots etc :-D
    Unfortunately yeah it came with the jack socket already wired up. Hey ho :-D
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited April 2014
    DrJazzTap said:
    Ah well I did kind cheat, that's an eric johnson style wiring loom from eBay. I wanted to be able to turn the tone down on the bridge pickup specifically.
    And for the sake of a few quid saves my feeble attempt at soldering pots etc :-D
    Unfortunately yeah it came with the jack socket already wired up. Hey ho :-D
    I did wonder, because I remembered an earlier discussion about some Strat looms that came with the socket already soldered in place. As far as I'm concerned, that absolves you!  :D

It would have been much neater if they'd put a couple of spades in between the jack socket and the pots. But then we'd have @ICBM and @ecc83 on here arguing about whether spade connectors are acceptable or not. :D
    @guitarmonkey Sorry forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference?
    edited April 2014
    The Switchcraft sockets are just so much more robust. See how the much stronger live contact doubles back on itself? This grips the jack tightly so that it doesn't fall out. 

For the £2.50 they cost it's false economy to use anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @guitarmonkey thanks for that, just ordered one :) I know exactly what you mean now, the guitar cable will click in properly. I remember an old bass guitar which had a dodgy input years ago and had a crappy jack socket fitted. Bass kept cutting out etc.
  • rauldukeraulduke Frets: 81
    Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Modding and building strats is incredibly addictive.
    Well the guitar has it's primary coat on at the moment. And the neck has been lacquered. Forgot to take any photos. But the logo has been applied....................