It lives! Headless SG online meme.

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Not sure if this will come up properly as I'm posting from my phone. But the guitar is real!

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    It looks like an improvement, especially for gigging - it should balance better like that, and there’s no risk of breaking the headstock off.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Preview of Gibson 2019 model range?

If so, at least they've improved their QC....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    Great improvement on the neck dive, but I do have one major concern: Where do you fit the Bigsby? 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    More Angus Deayton than Angus Young, I feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Bigsby said:
    Great improvement on the neck dive, but I do have one major concern: Where do you fit the Bigsby? 
    In the bin?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    The guy who did that is a mad feckin' genius. Wouldn't be my first choice for improving a Gibson, but...wow.
    <space for hire>
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    See I would really like a headless SG. I think it's something that Gibson have missed a trick with. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    I’m guessing the string grooves are cut pretty deep in the bridge saddles to stop the deflection to the Tuners from pulling them out of the saddles ? 
    DrBob said:
    I’m guessing the string grooves are cut pretty deep in the bridge saddles to stop the deflection to the Tuners from pulling them out of the saddles ? 
    They wouldn't need to be much deeper than normal really - just slightly more than half the diameter of the strings.

I've watched the video now...

The head break is really nasty, a very short grain break (badly chosen piece of wood for the neck, not that unusual for Gibson) so re-repairing again it probably wasn't going to work well anyway.

Nice workmanship for the routing too. The piece of the headstock on the back really is a work of mad genius - shame it isn't glued on, it would make it look even more like it was somehow buried in the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I wondered if refitting the tailpiece would improve the splay issues concerning the tuning stability

impmann said:
    I wondered if refitting the tailpiece would improve the splay issues concerning the tuning stability
    Not likely, since it would just add another point of friction.

If the bridge saddle grooves are properly cut and lubricated I think it should actually work OK - at least as well as it does with a Bigsby anyway :).

ICBM said:
    impmann said:
    Not likely, since it would just add another point of friction.

If the bridge saddle grooves are properly cut and lubricated I think it should actually work OK - at least as well as it does with a Bigsby anyway :).
    Well, in the video he mentions the splay being an issue... and its a lot more extreme than a Bigsby or a Gibson headstock.
    But I take your point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Has it got the electronic tuners?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    If he was worried about the splay, then he could simply have run the strings through the tailpiece.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    The only kind way to deal with that is to Napalm it.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.