Best way to isolate humbucker covers

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited April 2018 in Guitar
I like the asethetic of humbucker covers but prefer the sound without, so I want to have them but not ground them

I’m thinking some electrical tape over the slugs and around base edge where it meets the cover to insulate it and stick it all together / to stop microphonics, but just wondered what others have come up with that might be better?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11592
    tFB Trader
    It's not just the grounding of HB covers that changes sound - it's physically having that metal in the field.
    I don't think there is a way round it.....
    Happy to hear otherwise

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    It's not just the grounding of HB covers that changes sound - it's physically having that metal in the field.
    I don't think there is a way round it.....
    Happy to hear otherwise
    That's correct, although there are two factors - that, and the capacitance of the cover to the coils. Each has an effect, and which is the more important depends on the type and thickness of the metal.

Even electrically isolating the cover completely can be tricky, because not only is there contact round the edge of the baseplate and on top of the slug poles - both of which can be separated with tape - but all the screw polepieces must be clear of the sides of their holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Thanks Gents (..as ever) - might experiment over the weekend
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    I recall you could get chromed plastic covers  which solved this. 

Can't remember where though. 
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited April 2018
    Yep - I’ve seen them for Tele neck pups, but I’ve been told that th plating comes off quickly and they end up looking crap

But quality ones would definitely provide a solution - maybe clear plastic painted on the inside would last longer? 

as @icbm said, how effective using the metal covers in this way is, will be determined by how much of the tone difference is due to the capacitance of the grounded cover vs its effect on the field when it’s isolated - if that retains 75% then I’d be happy
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31575
    I've spent ages looking for chromed plastic humbucker covers, all I can find is warnings against them! 

It's a bit of a hobby of mine to put strange old pickups onto humbucker baseplates, and I'd like some sonically transparent but stock looking covers.