"Hi, I'm interested in buying your guitar..."

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    but when someone wants me to take it without lubrication - it’s a ‘no’ from me....
    Tight arse...
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Beats “I’m interested in buying your item, my shipper will come by with a certified cheque for your asking price plus 20%”. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
     but when someone wants me to take it without lubrication - it’s a ‘no’ from me....
    I’ll mark you off my list then.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Beats “I’m interested in buying your item, my shipper will come by with a certified cheque for your asking price plus 20%”. 
    Wow - I’m interested! Who is your shipper?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    edited April 2018
    Whitecat said:
    Wow - I’m interested! Who is your shipper?
    https://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/f/fonejacker_george.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    This thread brings to mind when I worked in retail we would get students come in asking for discount, on one particular occasion I had a bit a snooty lad come in with his pals obviously trying to show off he asks, " do you do discount for students"?, my reply was, " No, we add 15% on", he stuck his nose in the air and walked out, obviously the humour was wasted on him, it did send a chortle around the staff though.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28023
    when someone wants me to take it without lubrication - it’s a ‘no’ from me....
    Hark at Princess Romance! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Clarky said:
    "Foxtrot Oscar"
    You, keep that potty mouth shut, I tell ya :open_mouth: 
    Okay, how about "sex and travel"?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Clarky said:
    "Foxtrot Oscar"
    You, keep that potty mouth shut, I tell ya :open_mouth: 
    Okay, how about "sex and travel"?
    Go forth and use the “x” on your calculator 
  • When I used to do car boot sales , I would list stuff for £1 on the table ,and you still get people offering you 50p for it .

If I agreed, they would normally pay me with a pound coin , I enjoyed making them wait for their change by faffing around checking my pockets for change.

People like to feel they are getting a bargain .

if you put up guitar for sale ,establish your rock-bottom price . You can either inflate it slightly to account for offers , or just list it as firm and say no offers will be accepted .

As far as lowball offers are concerned , a polite no thanks is all that's required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    "We are friend,yes,   ...........we make special price, very good ......my cousin send you ...he say make extra special price "..........
    Haggling is what the great traders of the world are born to do.....".don't be shy come and buy"
    Haggle back........it's only a game ;don't be offended play the game
    If he want's it he will make an improved offer.....if he genuinely can't afford it he won't
    Reply ....."Are you buying or spying? "
    make special price offer for him .....5% discount
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    "...but I can't afford the asking price. Would you accept * comes out with a number 20% less than the listed price which is already below market value* 

I'm bored of these. Someone else give me the answer and I'll copy and paste it to him. 

The phrase that always make me happy: "What's your best price?" 

Generally that gets a reply along the lines of "This is my best price because it represents a sales figure I am happy with based on factors like sentimental value, secondhand market value, my own financial situation right now, and what other gear I am saving up for. I realise that it isn't your best price but this is where you and I branch off in opposite directions, as your best price certainly doesn't come up to my best price". 

I usually then get told to fuck off. 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited April 2018
    You'll always get some of these... human nature.

Not worth a whinge imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    @Heartfeltdawn Ha!  Same with customer surveys. "Did the service meet, fail to meet, or exceed your expectations?"

Turns out filling in "Met - I expected it to be shit and nothing but aggravation, and it was" gets you a follow-up call ...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Haggling is part of the transaction, unless the seller states the price as firm/no offers.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    "...but I can't afford the asking price. Would you accept * comes out with a number 20% less than the listed price which is already below market value* 

I'm bored of these. Someone else give me the answer and I'll copy and paste it to him. 
    Completely agree. Anyone who says "but I can't afford..." is a twunt, wasting their time and yours.

The other similar one on here is the comparison - "my mate only paid £400 for his so I'm only looking to pay the same". On a £700 guitar I'm selling.

"Well go and buy your mate's guitar then!" ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited April 2018
    Wanted ads are another bug bear for me.

I think there should be a requirement to state the buyer’s approximate budget in the ad - as there is a requirement to state a price in a sales ad.

Some people state they’re in the market for something - you PM them - and end up having a frankly pointless conversation about how they really want to nick it off you. I’ve no problem with someone hunting for a good deal - but where their budget is significantly out of kilter with the market, it would be better to know, so those of us who don’t ‘have’ to sell can avoid wasting our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You could advertise it for a bit more, and settle for what you wanted all along, or as near as..
    If I get daft lowball offers, I usually reply with, “Thank you for your interest!”
    I’m not really into haggling.. A reasonable offer would probably get the gear, but pisstakes just make me switch off..
    Pretty much decided that trying to sell gear I don’t NEED to sell, isn’t worth the hassle, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited April 2018

"Hi, I'm interested in buying your guitars..." I will pay your price and have my shipping agent contact you for collection within next couple of days...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I sold an amp once on eBay. I kept it until the buyer’s payday for him as agreed, and when the day rolled around he sent he a message asking for a tenner off. I was just putting the finishing touches to the polite rebuttal message when he bought it for the full price, not ten minutes after trying it on for a discount. He gave me excellent feedback too.

I think someone needs to explain ‘haggling’ to him. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom