Key change idea help?

What's Hot
Cool song came into my head, following on from my thread of a total change in direction - it's a very simple, sad sort of song that is in 3/4 and the bass would carry the song forward.  The guitar will probably be volume swell chords, or simple thirds played higher up the neck.  

Anyway, here is my problem.  It has a key change - it opens in e minor (with the chords being e minor, d major and a minor - not exatly breaking new ground with this one!) and, for the chorus, goes into a minor (chords being g major, d minor, a minor).  

Anyway, it sounds good to my ears and I'll see if I can record a rough version today to see what you all think for any suggestions, but why does this work and if it doesn't, why wouldn't it?

My first though was it changes on a g major, which is shared, and a minor is a chord that's shared between them.  Is it really as simple as that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• "it sounds good to my ears"...then it works. End of.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "it sounds good to my ears"...then it works. End of.

Oh yeah, I agree completely, but I wouldn't mind picking up a few bits and pieces of why it would or wouldn't - not so much to write around rules, but because I do want to branch out a little more.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Hey TPD have you watched the "How Music Works" videos in the Theory section ?

If not check this out
    it covers so much associated ground.
    The rhythm one is brilliant too, I stand in awe of Stevie Wonder having seen some of it deconstructed in the program.

It may even stimulate some more serendipitous "new directions"  :)

• @chrismusic, perfect! I'll watch later :D
  • Okay, here is the idea (which was really a bass idea, but I also worked out some guitar to sit on top). 

Listen out for those badly played chords ;) not bad for a first proper take, gives you the gist.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Your first set of chords are, as you say in E minor (parent major scale G). The other set are in A minor (parent major scale C). The two keys are closely related: one has one #, the other has none. They are next to each other on the cycle of 5ths. With respect to C, G is the dominant key. To get from C to G only requires that you lose the # from the F; in the reverse direction you only have to sharpen the F.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom