Pedal OD saturation

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

How do you get great saturation from your favourite OD peal into a clean toob amp? With a pedal stack?

Do you goose the pedal from the front....with what?

With your "goose" pedal of choice, is the gain up and volume down or the other way round?

Was trying to get a Ty Tabor (Kings X) sort of a saturated tone from pushing a Kingsley OD and was a wonderin' how you guys would approach this with a clean amp platform

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    If going into a clean amp I think you'd start with a 'amp in a box' or 'foundation od' type pedal (eg wampler plexidrive, Catalinbread DLS, etc, etc, ,,,,) set pretty clean (but breaking up somewhat) and Level high, then add your boost, od, T/S, Fuzz with more gain, ....
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Stacking works well but can takes ages trying things together and most pedals do not stack predictably. 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited April 2018
    Something like a TC Spark Mini or Tone City Allspark is a good choice for a low cost boost to try in front of an OD pedal for a lead saturated sound (certainly works well with Liquid Sunshine and Xotic B.B. from my own experience). £40 new, and they seem to shift easily enough if you’re not keen.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Something like a TC Spark Mini or Tone City Allspark is a good choice for a low cost boost to try in front of an OD pedal for a lead saturated sound (certainly works well with Liquid Sunshine and Xotic B.B. from my own experience). £40 new, and they seem to shift easily enough if you’re not keen.

you get better results with the volume up and gain down on the Xotic BB?

Thanks guys  :)

tae be or not tae be
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited April 2018
    hootsmon said:

you get better results with the volume up and gain down on the Xotic BB?

Thanks guys 

I have the B.B. set so I can go from clean to bluesy/moderate crunch just with the guitar volume control (tele). The boost then pushes it into saturated lead, in a way that sounds different (and better to my ears) than the B.B. on its own with the gain up.
    I also run the B.B. at 12 volts which gives it a bit more clarity and headroom so it doesn’t compress quite as much with a boost in front of it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Stacking works well but can takes ages trying things together and most pedals do not stack predictably. 

Far from an expert on these matters but I've had good results (and near endless sustain) using a ProCo Solo into an SD-2 (lead mode). A Rat would do the same job, using the filter control to 'tune' the sound going into the second drive. You can generate some nice singing harmonics doing this.