Jeff Beck fans ...

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
BBC4 9PM on Friday 27 April ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    Well I’m certainly a fan. Cheers for the heads up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Noted. Ta!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Always liked his performances on the Crossroads DVDs (as well as his sidekick Tal Wilkenfeld) but have only recently got one of his albums and before that I didn't realise just how good he is; really love the album. He gets such a lovely smooth and expressive tone.

Looked up on Radio Times to see what was on - it's a documentary about him. Before reading that blurb I didn't know it was him who did that "Hi Ho Silver Lining" song! Glad he moved on from that style lol
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    ta - will watch
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Sweet thanks for the heads up :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    thegummy said:
    I didn't know it was him who did that "Hi Ho Silver Lining" song!
    Producer, Mickie Most, made JB do it.

thegummy said:
    Glad he moved on from that style
    Not half as glad as he is! 
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Always liked his performances on the Crossroads DVDs (as well as his sidekick Tal Wilkenfeld) but have only recently got one of his albums and before that I didn't realise just how good he is; really love the album. He gets such a lovely smooth and expressive tone.

Looked up on Radio Times to see what was on - it's a documentary about him. Before reading that blurb I didn't know it was him who did that "Hi Ho Silver Lining" song! Glad he moved on from that style lol

Haha, I saw him perform that with Clapton and got this footage..  Whats funny is before he started the song he apologises in advance for his singing 

• telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    What's amazing to me about Beck is that he doesn't rest on his laurels. He actually practices and just keeps getting better and pushes himself to explore new directions. Even if I don't like all his music, I do admire that. I saw him play with SRV, and he did an version of "People Get Ready" that put shivers up my spine.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I love this:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    longjaw said:
    BBC4 9PM on Friday 27 April ;-)
    Plus, two terrestrial broadcast repeats and iPlayer access.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b0g902
    Be seeing you.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Here’s the lowdown on the documentary -  Clapton, Gilmour, R Wood and Page all sing his praises... no surprises there! As a huge Beck fan I’m looking forward to this

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2018/04/preview-still-on-run-jeff-beck-story.html
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Jeff Beck's playing and phrasing is just like Van Morrison's singing - irksome, nasal and tuneless - no matter how many Pork Pie Hats involved...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Every note sings, every phrase coloured with a new tonality.

"I try to become a singer. The guitar has always been abused with distortion units and funny sorts of effects, but when you don't do that and just let the genuine sound come through, there's a whole magic there." - Mr. J. Beck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    AlexC said:
    What would you say is the basic recipe for jb tone?

Obviously a Strat finger picked but what else?
    thegummy said:
    AlexC said:
    What would you say is the basic recipe for jb tone?

Obviously a Strat finger picked but what else?
    I’m no expert, but Beck uses stacked single coils - so you’ve got the boost and attack of humbuckers. There’s a level of distortion which gives sustain without masking the sound of the guitar and it’s quite a treble heavy tone. Most of it is in the use of vibrato unit. It’s that technique of pre-bending a note, releasing it and hammering on. It’s quite an ‘angry’ way of playing. I guess attack is the key.
    Reading all that back just sounds like I’m talking bollocks... Haha! I know what I mean but I’m not brilliant at theory!
    AlexC said:

I’m no expert, but Beck uses stacked single coils - so you’ve got the boost and attack of humbuckers. 
    Ahhh, I had actually thought to myself that it sounded smooth like a humbucker yet he looked to be using singles. I just assumed I had maybe mistaken what a single coil can sound like but perhaps not then.

Coincidentally, my band mate was saying to me at practice just there that JB is very associated with Marshall. It's quite funny cause I didn't say anything about the fact I had previously asked on a forum about his tone, it was an unrelated comment lol
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    The harmonica lick Beck plays at about 3:40 in that ZZ Top clip is ridiculous
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    thegummy said:
    AlexC said:

I’m no expert, but Beck uses stacked single coils - so you’ve got the boost and attack of humbuckers. 
    Ahhh, I had actually thought to myself that it sounded smooth like a humbucker yet he looked to be using singles. I just assumed I had maybe mistaken what a single coil can sound like but perhaps not then.

Coincidentally, my band mate was saying to me at practice just there that JB is very associated with Marshall. It's quite funny cause I didn't say anything about the fact I had previously asked on a forum about his tone, it was an unrelated comment lol
    From what I’ve read he rarely has the volume knob fully up on a strat so that knocks off the treble edge, hence the smoothness. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    Just a quick word on Becks longevity. I spoke to a couple of producers that had worked with Beck in the past, both of whom agreed that he played at relatively low volume levels. Considering the generation he came from, that’s very much against the norm and must certainly have contributed to his extended career.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom