One speaker output - 2 cabs

What's Hot
kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
I have a Marshall Plexi with one speaker output (other output space is now a master volume) I want to connect 2 Marshall 1922 2x12 cabs to the one head.
On the back of the cabs are two inputs (one for mono at 8 ohms and the two for stereo at 16 ohms)
I was led to believe that I could come out the speaker out on the amp to one of the cabs and then use the other connection on the same cab to connect to the other cab. And that they would then be running in parallel, so I should set the amp at 4 ohms (whereas to my way of thinking they would be now in series and therefore the amp should be set at 16 ohms)
Anyway. It doesn't work. When I connect the cabs only the first cab works. Tried them both ways round.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The jacks on the cabs are for stereo and can’t be used like that. It would be easy to modify them so they can be - you need to bridge the jack switches.

The cabs will be in parallel regardless of looking like they’re in series, so the amp should be set to 4 ohms.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    Thanks - could  I take the output from the back of the amp and use a splitter to then send two cables one to each cab?
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    Or to bridge them do I just connect the inside ring of the one input to the inside ring of the other input and connect the outside ring of the one input to the outside ring of the other input? (so connect them in parallel basically)
    Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    kelpbeds said:
    Thanks - could  I take the output from the back of the amp and use a splitter to then send two cables one to each cab?
    Yes.

kelpbeds said:
    Or to bridge them do I just connect the inside ring of the one input to the inside ring of the other input and connect the outside ring of the one input to the outside ring of the other input? (so connect them in parallel basically)
    Yes, they need to be in parallel.

The plate should look like this on the inside -

1936 Wiring photo IMG_0351jpg

On the right-hand jack, you need to bridge the two gaps, or for ease you can cut the two plain wires and rotate the jack so you can then solder them to the same pins the wires are on.

It would probably be best to put some tape over the panel print on the back just so no-one tries to connect stereo inputs to it, which wouldn't be a good idea with the jacks paralleled.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's brilliant, many thanks for your help
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    kelpbeds said:
    That's brilliant, many thanks for your help
    Give the man a wisdom!