Zoom MS70CDR plus G2 - Midi help please?

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
I've just bought an MS70 CDR and want to use it on my board, which is controlled by a Gigrig G2. I've already got an M5 that's hooked up via Midi and I'm using the G2 to cycle through the patches on it (PITA that once I get past bank 2 on G2, I've run out of presets within M5, so no more changes...)

Anyway, I'm told that the Zoom can be controled via the USB port on the back - could someone walk me through how this could be hooked up, using no assumed knowledge at all, please? I want to be able to use it as a discreet stomp box, that when I press certain buttons on G2, it selects things like a different reverb or delay or mod (ie, different patches called up via the G2).

Many thanks! :-)
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited April 2018
    I've never done it on the G2, which I believe is a little limited in its MIDI functionality, but I've done it with a BOSS ES-8 and a Tech21 MIDI Moose with both a a G3 and and MS50G . You need a mini > USB converter box first. Either the Kenton MIDI USB host (http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml) or the Hobbytronics equivalent (http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/audio-midi/usb-midi-converter) will do. The Kenton is about £85 and the Hobbytronics is about £40. They both seem to work in exactly the same way.

You plug your midi cable into the controller (G2 in your case, BOSS or Tech21 in my case) and the other end into the midi>USB converter. Then take the USB cable into the Zoom. The PC number you send is the same as the preset on the pedal so A0 is PC#1, A2 is PC#2 etc.

One thing to note is that using mid on these Zooms is actually a bit of a hack. Zoom never intended them (or at least have never supported) the use of midi other than through their own software so it can be a compromise in how you send and receive commands. The Zoom G3 in its initial V1 firmware supported CC values (think this was removed in V2 onwards) but the multistomp pedals don't support it so you're limited to just PC changes and can't use an expression pedal to send CC values. However, because you can set up to 6 effects at once on the Zooms, you can generally just switch a patch to get what you want.

One thing I'm not sure of is the midi channel that Zoom uses. I suspect it's either OMNI (which might interfere with other midi pedals) or Ch1, which means you might need to change the channels on any other midi pedals to stop them from receiving the same commands as the Zoom.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Here's Zoom UK's no should you not have any luck here - 08432 080999 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Thanks guys. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2350

One thing I'm not sure of is the midi channel that Zoom uses. I suspect it's either OMNI (which might interfere with other midi pedals) or Ch1, which means you might need to change the channels on any other midi pedals to stop them from receiving the same commands as the Zoom.

It is OMNI which, for me, made it unusable alongside other MIDI devices as it got too confused and couldn't be singled out for receiving PC messages all of its own.  Great device, but beware of its MIDI limitations - I now only use it where it is the only MIDI device receiving messages, and use the relay outputs on my G-Lab GSC-2 to change channels on non-MIDI amps.

I use a Kenton MIDI-USB, which works seamlessly and powers the Zoom via USB.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    That makes sense. If it's OMNI then there are probably too many compromises for it to be able to play nicely with other MIDI pedals. However, if it's the MS70CDR then virtually every patch in it would be post-gain anyway so it might be possible for most conventional sounds.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    You need a midi host device. Kenton make them for around £90

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

You might also need a midi thru device before the M5 or it won't work.