What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Someone I know has the opportunity to acquire this:

http://i.imgur.com/sX1SmTa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Bwek0Pu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bqYUZm8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SIhdEk3.jpg

As you can see, it’s a ES-330TD, which he believes is a ‘64.

He’s not sure re. potential value and asked me to gather some intel via the auspices of this very forum.

Old Gibson semi’s aren’t really my bag, but looking online, private sales seem to be between say £1.5K - £2.5K and dealers seem to be in the £3.5K - £4K+ region.

All advice gratefully received...TIA.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    There are much more knowledgeable people on here than me but if it checks out as genuine and has no significant issues, I'd be thinking those dealer figures are about right but the private figure would be more like £2.5k to £3k.

That's my ha'penneth anyway...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    64 is a desirable year - the last full year of wide necks. I was talking to someone at the Huddersfield Fretboard Jam who was looking at a ‘65 on private deal which was more than your top end figure, IIRC.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    tFB Trader
    I'd say anything below 3K is good news today based on what I can see  - that serial number stacks up okay for a 64 period - Will be a Brz board - I can't see any negative issues at this stage so if all okay then it looks a nice guitar to buy - A desirable guitar IMO and in today's vintage market, compared with many other guitars, then 330's are under priced, or certainly more affordable - Go for it
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Cheers, Peeps! :)

Hmmm...so my brief online survey is off-the-mark - more like £3K is realistic?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited April 2018 tFB Trader

Cheers, Peeps!

has the seller priced it, or have you got to make an offer ?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Nice guitar. If it *speaks* to the would-be acquirer and the price is acceptable, go for it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

Cheers, Peeps!

has the seller priced it, or have you got to make an offer ?

A friend has been offered it, following the death of an elderly family acquaintance. However, the seller has no idea re. guitars.

He just wants to make a fair and honest offer for it.

tFB Trader
    awkward in such instances - Part of me will say £2500 on a private sale, but £3000 is not out of order for what looks to be a good example - I'd rather pay more for a good example then less for a poor example - looks a guitar you can be proud of - I generally find they player better with a good re-fret, with medium/jumbo sizes frets, but not essential to many
    edited April 2018

Cheers Mark.

tFB Trader
    A friend of mine just passed a comment to me (via e-mail) about this OP - Even the Selmer paper/tweed case has a good re-sale value on its own - he sold one recently for over £200
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30896
    I value at £1000.

Inbox me and I'll transfer via PPG.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Gassage said:
    I value at £1000.

lol

You'll have to get past my generous offer of £1500 first :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    I value at £1000.

lol

You'll have to get past my generous offer of £1500 first :).
    I'll go £1501 - seriously though it looks a good guitar doesn't it - nice to see as it shows good finds are still out there if you are patient
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    £1505 and a box of prebiotics.   And I can’t even play right handed.  =)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Looks nice @HarrySeven. ;One thing to get your pal to check (an a matter of course on vintage 330's) is that the top hasn't 'dished' in from the bigsby as there is no centre block to hold it.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    Looks nice @HarrySeven. ;One thing to get your pal to check (an a matter of course on vintage 330's) is that the top hasn't 'dished' in from the bigsby as there is no centre block to hold it.
    I'm almost certain it hasn't - even from that front-on shot you can see the bridge isn't overly high. The B7-type Bigsby doesn't put much additional stress on the top compared to the B5 they were often fitted with so it shouldn't be a problem - and even though it's not original it shouldn't have devalued it either. (For me it increases it :).)

The other main thing to check is of course the headstock for a repair - as well as any other structural problems - although if it's survived in that case with no neck support for any length of time it's probably an inherently stronger one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:
    I'm almost certain it hasn't - even from that front-on shot you can see the bridge isn't overly high. The B7-type Bigsby doesn't put much additional stress on the top compared to the B5 they were often fitted with
    Assume you mean B3 rather than B5.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:

Assume you mean B3 rather than B5.
    Oops, yes!

:)

The B7 actually puts less stress on the top because the tension bar at the front tends to pull the top up rather than push it down, and the reaction to the spring force is contained within the Bigsby rather than applied to the top.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'd have it, but you'd have to take the Bigsby off it first
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427

That looks a beauty. If it really is that good with no hidden issues £3k would seem a fair price. Comparing apples with pears, a '64 345 is currently up for sale here for £8k and a '64 335 (the Clapton year?) would fetch a fair bit more than that.

I wonder what its history is? Did the elderly deceased play it in a '60s beat group? Maybe even an appearance on RSG? Hopefully Harry's pal might find out more.