Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
Is a thing of beauty.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Reminds me a bit of the Forshage Orion:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Whilst it's possible to appreciate the technical beauty of the joint (and ergonomics inasmuch as it's possible to do from a picture), as a whole that guitar is utterly ghastly - an exercise in sharp edges and a reckless use of french curves.
    'Your luthiers were so pre-occupied with whether the *could* they didnt stop to think if they *should*'.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited April 2018
    Terrible design - it stops you sliding your thumb up the bass side of the neck above what looks like about the 10th fret, and puts a nasty sharp edge there instead.

And the body looks like someone randomly bandsawed a block of wood into an odd shape and then smoothed off the result.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    ICBM said:
    Terrible design - it stops you sliding your thumb up the bass side of the neck above what looks like about the 10th fret, and puts a nasty sharp edge there instead.
    Anything that restricts playing above the 10th fret should be applauded.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited April 2018
    It makes the body look a bit like a bat.

Bit from a technical standpoint pretty cool. I’ve never played one of these extended join type guitars but I like the idea of it, it should give a more stable neck in theory I think 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    ICBM said:

And the body looks like someone randomly bandsawed a block of wood into an odd shape and then smoothed off the result.
    It's probably aimed at the type of guitarist that is more likely to have their thumb on the middle with a classical hand position, but I take your point.

I just like the way it looks; tighter than a glove.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Ah, I like the stuff Padalka come out with.

Pointless posting it here though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed, but there are so many custom builders in the progressive space right now that it's hard to choose what guitar to actually get and who to build it.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Jack_ said:
    ICBM said:

It's probably aimed at the type of guitarist that is more likely to have their thumb on the middle with a classical hand position, but I take your point.

It suits a particular style of playing. I thought I wanted a guitar like this, and was warming up to making a Klein. Then I tried @octatonic ‘s Forshage and realised that the playing position doesn’t suit how I currently play.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Jack_ said:
    ICBM said:

It suits a particular style of playing. I thought I wanted a guitar like this, and was warming up to making a Klein. Then I tried @octatonic ‘s Forshage and realised that the playing position doesn’t suit how I currently play.
    I always liked the look of those Claas models, but all I ever heard about them was that the quality was nowhere near good enough for the price.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    ICBM said:

restricting for certain styles maybe.   I don't think that makes it a terrible design. The same criticism can be applied to may single cut shapes, yet people manage to play above the 16th fret on them

I actually like the shape,  certainly the upper bout and cutaway shape as its similar to stuff I was doing about 10 years ago with some iceman/bc rich heritage.

I like this style of neck join, similar things are featured on numerous high end single cut basses without players complaining of reduced access..  The contours are a bit sharper than I would make them. I prefer more organic carves, but I like the rest of this design... it really makes the most of the black limba

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Never heard of Padalka before. Some lovely carpentry going on and I can certainly appreciate the carving involved, but the end results are 50/50.

These are great

http://padalka-guitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IMG_8701_300.jpg
    http://padalka-guitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_7658_300.jpg

This on the other hand is just a disaster!

http://padalka-guitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/IMG_2336_300.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Jack_ said:
    I always liked the look of those Claas models, but all I ever heard about them was that the quality was nowhere near good enough for the price.
    http://www.claas.co.uk/blueprint/servlet/image/1285652/inline_l_s/820/260/7bda4e04027484101ec286fdb4791ccc/uN/301868.jpg

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    Jack_ said:
    Agreed, but there are so many custom builders in the progressive space right now that it's hard to choose what guitar to actually get and who to build it.
    This, the funny thing is that for all of the countless builders that are knocking out Strats & Teles it feels like the progressive type guitar market has already largely flattened out to
    ”Bit like a Blackmachine/Ibby RG”
    and “Sort Of Strandberg” 
    DrBob said:
    Jack_ said:
    This, the funny thing is that for all of the countless builders that are knocking out Strats & Teles it feels like the progressive type guitar market has already largely flattened out to
    ”Bit like a Blackmachine/Ibby RG”
    and “Sort Of Strandberg” 
    Which are both “sort of strats”.

best not to think about it ;)

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited April 2018
    Looking at this again, I started to question whether my initial reaction (recoiling in aesthetic horror) was due to some inherent conservatism on my part.

However, on further reflection, I’m happy to say that no, it just looks vile.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    Do things like balancing on a strap not matter any more?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Do things like balancing on a strap not matter any more?
    Er.... it would 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @ICBM - as a bass player you should be ashamed of yourself. Everyone knows the correct thumb position is on the back of the neck not hooked over (guitar or bass) 

This hooking the thumb over trend is just plain wrong. I for one am glad that modern makers are building in sharp edges to remind the rabble of hook-over-thumb players to stop it with a sharp pain
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom