This neck joint...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22728
    WezV said:
    Rocker said:
    Do things like balancing on a strap not matter any more?
    Er.... it would 

I've never tried any of these modern "sort of Strandberg" designs, but I've always assumed things like balance and ergonomics would be fairly high on their list of priorities.

The Marmite aspect is the looks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    @ICBM - as a bass player you should be ashamed of yourself. Everyone knows the correct thumb position is on the back of the neck not hooked over (guitar or bass) 

This hooking the thumb over trend is just plain wrong. I for one am glad that modern makers are building in sharp edges to remind the rabble of hook-over-thumb players to stop it with a sharp pain
    Bollocks to that :).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/99/57/3899579b4993838fab31b4ed023de597.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    @ICBM - as a bass player you should be ashamed of yourself. Everyone knows the correct thumb position is on the back of the neck not hooked over (guitar or bass) 

This hooking the thumb over trend is just plain wrong. I for one am glad that modern makers are building in sharp edges to remind the rabble of hook-over-thumb players to stop it with a sharp pain
    Bollocks to that :).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/99/57/3899579b4993838fab31b4ed023de597.jpg
    Ah I see you have provided more evidence for my argument ;)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2018
    Jack_ said:
    Agreed, but there are so many custom builders in the progressive space right now that it's hard to choose what guitar to actually get and who to build it.
    This I would agree with.

Seems like there are a million and one people churning out amazing-looking modern rock and metal guitars. If I was just after a two-humbucker 6-string then I need look no further than my own Blackmachine, but if I wanted something with seven strings and fanned frets the market is pretty daunting... of the guitars I've seen, one of my favourite companies (aesthetically) is Oakland Axe Factory, and their subsidiary Drinkwater Guitars:

http://reticulum.thraxil.org/image/2d14a93d828b0d583110d1d17ed9068c11c1b8c9/full/image.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6TOkEV-yLkk/WR2pG_WOqsI/AAAAAAAAHxM/g5sDBLe_xm8YwhMpzySPfUuJyvLC0OFdgCLcB/s1600/drinkwater-scrapper-1.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/ee/bb/ffeebb580145e736af5fda2a75e6e48a.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28019
    Bucket said:
    I quite like this. Needs paint. Where's it from?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2018
    Sporky said:
    Bucket said:
    I quite like this. Needs paint. Where's it from?
    Made by a company called Oakland Axe Factory, based in Maine. Not sure on prices but I don't think they're ridiculous. Probably around top-end (non-CS) Fender territory.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22728
    edited April 2018
    Bucket said:
    Jack_ said:
    Agreed, but there are so many custom builders in the progressive space right now that it's hard to choose what guitar to actually get and who to build it.
    This I would agree with.

Seems like there are a million and one people churning out amazing-looking modern rock and metal guitars. 
    I think there's also a danger of assuming that all those custom builders are equally good*, when in fact it's quite likely that some of those amazing-looking guitars will turn out to be duds.  Or simply more MD Phillips than D Campbell.

And some of those builders will doubtless fall into that off-the-radar, collapsing under the pressure of back orders syndrome ("yes I know it's been a few months but funnily enough I'm just fretting your guitar as we speak").

(* Well I tend to fall into that trap, anyway - doubtless careful research and canvassing other owners' opinions pays off.)
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

The hooking the thumb thing is what Jimi Hendrix did. Jack White also does it because he damaged his index finger in a Car Accident.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

The hooking the thumb thing is what Jimi Hendrix did. Jack White also does it because he damaged his index finger in a Car Accident.
    Just because Jimi did it doesn’t make it right, nobody would willingly choke on their own vomit...
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Garthy said:

Just because Jimi did it doesn’t make it right, nobody would willingly choke on their own vomit...

Just because it isn't the standard way of playing doesn't make it wrong.

My point was that it is a legitimate way of playing.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Garthy said:

I don't know, some things about modern life make me contemplate it.