Rolling the dice is fun...

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Some time ago, our resident bin diver ...sorry *ahem* interesting guitar hoarder @HarrySeven came out with something rather stunning from a deal. 

You can read about it on this thread: 

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/111928/advice-wanted-1991-gibson-eb-650-semi-acoustic-bass

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I recently raided Seven Towers and came away with that same very beautiful thing as part of a trade. Young Harry didn't fancy the hassle of trying to sell the thing anymore, so let me take over the mantle of dispersing this stunner to it's forever home via whatever medium I so chose. Consequently I got it for an on paper bargain price, but that remains to be seen.

I've had a little fun with it (actually sounds lovely even through my rather meager bass setup) and briefly punted it around a few selling sites. I was offered one quite nice trade for another unusual guitar (PRS Studio, with the very odd pickup arrangement) which I declined after some thought.

So this evening it's been picked up by the Guitar auctioneer from Gardener Holgate in Bath. It's being entered into their June auction. It will either tank, or do very well. I think that's my best chance despite having to pay fairly chunky fees on it, as they polish and photograph each guitar and then send out a glossy catalogue before each sale as well as punting the guitars all over the internet. 

It's now a waiting game until the 14th June when their next auction is, and we find out if I rolled snake eyes, double six, or somewhere in between! I quite like this game! Fingers crossed  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    Good luck! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Cheers bud! It's quite fun. I'll enjoy watching the auction online at least! :) 

• photekphotek Frets: 1462
    @HarrySeven Don't bid!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Do show us when the catalogue comes out. 
    photek said:
    @HarrySeven Don't bid!

But I might be missing it already! :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'll also be interested to see what it goes for. It's a proper oddball this one. In some ways its rarity should mean $$$, but the fact it's a super thin neck and semi-styled but probably the hottest output bass Gibson have ever done means it's an acquired taste. 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2018
    I'll also be interested to see what it goes for. It's a proper oddball this one. In some ways its rarity should mean $$$, but the fact it's a super thin neck and semi-styled but probably the hottest output bass Gibson have ever done means it's an acquired taste. 

Yeah I'm genuinely interested to see what happens. I could in theory lose a few quid or make a packet and I genuinely have no clue which way it'll go!

Yeah I'm genuinely interested to see what happens. I could in theory lose a few quid or make a packet and I genuinely have no clue which way it'll go!
    Well it will keep us entertained anyway!
    Less than 2 weeks to go.

Getting a bit nervous now! 

https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Catalogues/mi140618/lot0183.html

Well... fuck! Bidding stopped a measly £50 before the £1500 reserve that they suggested, although the guy was convinced it was going to go above 2k. 

Annoyingly, this means someone was prepared to spend £1800 on it including the buyers premium. What a ball ache! I think I'll just whack it on here for trades rather than wait until October for their next auction. Cest la vie! It was an interesting experiment. 

@HarrySeven do you mind if I use your photos for my trade thread? The guitar is still in Bath so I can't take new ones right now. 

All good - feel free! :)

This Bass:

Ere.. @Legionreturns - swapsies for a REAL bass? ;)
    edited June 2018
    Ere.. @Legionreturns - swapsies for a REAL bass?
    Like what? @Bridgehouse

Tbh I'd rather swap it for a geeeetar!

Ere.. @Legionreturns - swapsies for a REAL bass?
    Like what? @Bridgehouse

Tbh I'd rather swap it for a geeeetar!
    I'm all out of them mate. 

No more. All gone. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Well... fuck! Bidding stopped a measly £50 before the £1500 reserve that they suggested...
    Strangely convenient :)

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited June 2018
    I was at the auction but conveniently went out the room for a fag when it was up! Must say the bass looks stunning in the flesh. I bid on three guitars but didn't win any because too aware of the extra 25% on top of the price to pay. Seemed to me that almost all of the stuff sold at what I would expect to pay for it but not with the extra on top. When some bloke bought a 62 strat for 12 grand you then realise that he actually paid an extra 3 grand for the privelage. 

I bought a Line 6 MM4 for £90 which I was happy with, (I did have the ebay page open on my phone to check prices!) and  I had to leave the auction at 4 pm 5 hours after it started and there were still over 100 odd lots to go so bit of a marathon. My mate went with me and stayed on to buy a Fender twin for £110 bout the only bargain I saw
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    They've subsequently come back to me having received an offer, and agreed to slash their commission to make it a decent sum. 

I must say, they didn't give a great pitch in the catalogue and the one pic was awful!

They've subsequently come back to me having received an offer, and agreed to slash their commission to make it a decent sum. 

I must say, they didn't give a great pitch in the catalogue and the one pic was awful!
    No way - you mean it’s finally gone?!

No way - you mean it’s finally gone?!
    I've not had absolute confirmation, but he did say if I didn't hear back from him, it's a fine deal and the money should land in my account soonish