cool looking PRS

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Bucket said:
    Looks like the walls of the Bogs in a really up market Hotel Bar.
    You know what, this is a very good comparison - you've pretty much summed up what puts me off about it.
    A few years back, I used to be quite in awe of the Blingy Guitars. They just don't do it for me now, it must have been a short lived reaction to something I'd not seen before. If I could go back and do my Custom Build again, it would be different than 5 years ago, and it's not really that Blingy.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Not. Even sure it’s that blingy.
    just a nice top with a gloss finish.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Gold hardware on a Gretsch yes. Just about any other guitar no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Ah loverly.

PRS are now matching their dentist clients guitars to dashboard trims.

Clever marketing Paul, I like how you roll :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Bucket said:
    Looks like the walls of the Bogs in a really up market Hotel Bar.
    You know what, this is a very good comparison - you've pretty much summed up what puts me off about it.
    A few years back, I used to be quite in awe of the Blingy Guitars. They just don't do it for me now, it must have been a short lived reaction to something I'd not seen before. If I could go back and do my Custom Build again, it would be different than 5 years ago, and it's not really that Blingy.
    I'm with you . I really don't like too blingy guitars personally. More understated is my thing :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited April 2018
    £10K? hellno That's insanity...ernie...even if you  do like it!! (& I don't)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22737
    Blingy but beautiful.  That ziricote fretboard looks amazing.
  • all looks a bit too clean and tidy for me
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I think it's beautiful. But what's up with the centre line? It has different shades, looks like it's bookmatched but it obviously is not. I'd expect it to be a single piece with no join? 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Imagine the thrill as you you put the first big ding in it. Oh wait... it'll never leave the man cave wall anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    I rather like it.... 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    It's lovely ......only I'm not sure if it is a musical instrument or an I8th century Escritoire.
    Just think what the Stradivarius brothers could have done with Ivory and Pearl inlay ,gold filigree etc in those days............only for some reason they didn't feel the need..........they were making instruments to perfection not furniture.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    It's very striking, attractive even, but I'm not sure that I like it.  The randomness of the figuring takes a bit away from the body shape, whereas more geometric, or regular, figuring adds to the shape if done properly.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14182
    tFB Trader
    it reminds me a touch of those old 'treasure island' maps from Columbus days
  • MoosterMooster Frets: 68
    In one of the PRS vids Paul Miles talks to Mark Tremonti about spalted maple and he says that they soak the whole thing in super glue to get the weakness in the wood: the rot and cracks filled, solidified, and then they can work on it. Depends on your view of wood = tone, but a rotten top soaked in super glue doesn't sound as attractive as highly figured spalted maple.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I understand spalted maple can be a bitch to work with - easy to find so many pieces that are 'rotten' and simply break when been crafted
    Yes, it is the wood equivalent of building a human pyramid out of cancer patients.
    never heard it put like that before but see where you are coming from
    I have the soul of a poet...
    really - this forum is not the place for comments like that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    Mooster said:
    In one of the PRS vids Paul Miles talks to Mark Tremonti about spalted maple and he says that they soak the whole thing in super glue to get the weakness in the wood: the rot and cracks filled, solidified, and then they can work on it. Depends on your view of wood = tone, but a rotten top soaked in super glue doesn't sound as attractive as highly figured spalted maple.

I am not sure soaking in super glue is enough.   At least not enough for the more extreme spalts, which the one in the OP will have in some sections

I have built quite a few guitars with thinner spalted tops.  the superglue trick is likely enough for them as long as you make sure bridge posts/screws go right the way through the top  I have one carved top that has been soaked in at least 4 bottles of water thin super glue.   The soft spalted areas are not that big, but as soon as I carve down 2mm I am back to soft wood.  I have seen the glue soak straight in, I am just not convinced it goes that far.  

I have had a spalted maple top which was acrylised, basically set in resin at high pressure to ensure it penetrates.   That works quite well. and is what I would expect as a minimum on a £10k guitar

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

I have used the superglue trick several times on various degrees of punky spalting, and wholeheartedly agree with WezV there. It just doesn't seem to penetrate well, under atmospheric pressure at least. It is fine for stabilising temporarily (particularly when turning spalted timber).

I also have some lovely Blue Spruce chisels with acrylised birdseye maple handles - they have taken a good walloping, and are hardly dented at all.

Regarding the OP - I think it is a stunning use of the timber. I'd love to know what it is, as I'm not convinced it's maple from the photo. Looks a little burry oak in places, but some beautiful spalting for sure.

Adam

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I understand spalted maple can be a bitch to work with - easy to find so many pieces that are 'rotten' and simply break when been crafted
    Yes, it is the wood equivalent of building a human pyramid out of cancer patients.
    never heard it put like that before but see where you are coming from
    I have the soul of a poet...
    really - this forum is not the place for comments like that.
    What have you got against poetry?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Kalimna said:

Regarding the OP - I think it is a stunning use of the timber. I'd love to know what it is, as I'm not convinced it's maple from the photo. Looks a little burry oak in places, but some beautiful spalting for sure.

Adam

This is from the listing:

• Top WoodSpalted maple
    • Back WoodFigured mahogany with figured mahogany back plates
    • Neck WoodZiricote
    • Fretboard WoodZiricote
    • Colour/StainNatural Smoked Burst
    • FinishHigh-Gloss Nitro

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Private-Stock-Custom-24-Spalted-Maple-in-Natural-Smoked-Burst-7066/232678349043?epid=20015537888&hash=item362cb5d8f3:g:eWkAAOSwr1NaktSf