Eastman Guitars - P90 beauty

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
How are more people not talking about this beauty? Nitro finish....1 piece mahogany back....nice!

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/sb56_n_gd_new
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Nice!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Because it doesn't have Suhr on the headstock.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Not sure I like their slightly bloated take on the LP shape.

Maybach on the other hand...

https://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/products/61450/2395028/big.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    It’s a nice guitar but $2000 (so probably £1750 over here?) is a LOT of money considering that if you don’t gel with it you’ll struggle to get £1000 back if you sell it. At that price, a lot of people will, rightly or wrongly, play it safe and just go for a Gibson, even if the spec isn’t as good at the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3895
    I like the look of the SB59/v
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    Why would you buy that for that kind of money when you can get a real Gibson Goldtop used for about the same?
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    ^^^^ Exactly. 
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    DrumBob said:
    Why would you buy that for that kind of money when you can get a real Gibson Goldtop used for about the same?
    With a nitro finish and 1 piece back?
  • be a good one to pick up 2nd hand for £850
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    edited April 2018
    horsehead said:
    DrumBob said:
    With a nitro finish and 1 piece back?
    In fact, you can find 1950s Tribute Studios with one piece backs... and all are nitro finished. You can polish the satin up to gloss too - I've done it with mine.

Although tbh, I don't think the 1 piece back makes much of a difference tonally... each to their own, and all that.

Cost - about £650 s/h.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    This answers the question often asked of can the Chinese build guitars to the highest standard. Yes, probably (without playing it), but who is will to pay for it. It's pre-order at around £1700 is most places, which is pretty much the same as the Gibson 2018 P90 loaded Goldtop. I think I may well prefer the Eastman but you'd need to be brave to take the bath when it comes to selling.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I so want the Tokai Love Rock Japan model though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’ve got one of the Burst sb59’s -great guitar. Probably wouldn’t have paid the full price but picked it up secondhand and it out played all the standards/classics etc that I’d tried and was well on the way to the quality of a good cs lester. 

The chinese can build fantastic instruments. At the full price though I’d be on a maybach.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    lewism said:
    It’s a nice guitar but $2000 (so probably £1750 over here?) is a LOT of money considering that if you don’t gel with it you’ll struggle to get £1000 back if you sell it. At that price, a lot of people will, rightly or wrongly, play it safe and just go for a Gibson, even if the spec isn’t as good at the price.

It is a shame there is absolutely no consideration for the quality of the guitar in that scenario, although I agree its likely the way many will consider the deal.

[moon] Bunch of logo lickers   [/moon]

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Jack_ said:
    Because it doesn't have Suhr on the headstock.
    Agreed. If an Eastman guitar had a Suhr logo, more people would be talking about it
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    Plus you'd probably have to buy through Richards Guitars..........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    So do people on here rate Maybach? I’d have thought they fall into the same category as they aren’t cheap (nearly £2k new for the gold top) and it doesn’t say Gibson/Suhr etc on the headstock.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    edited April 2018
    Played one myself at Guitar Village and it was like butter. Beautifully easy to play and sounded awesome only problem was it didn't say Gibson on it, which isn't a problem for me, but others may not get over it
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    A maybach @horsehead ;
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    shaunm said:
    So do people on here rate Maybach? I’d have thought they fall into the same category as they aren’t cheap (nearly £2k new for the gold top) and it doesn’t say Gibson/Suhr etc on the headstock.
    Have played a couple and my lasting impression was that they're better than most current CS Gibson Les Pauls I've played, but for half the price or less. If I was in the market for a traditional LP-style guitar, they would definitely be on my shortlist.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."