Another End of an Era

57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
edited April 2018 in Music
The final Paul Jones hosted Blues programme came to an end last night - 32 years of a hour a week of Blues and related on BBC R2.

Although I hadn't listened since the beginning(!) I had been a regular for past 10 years as the newer modern rockier sounds became regulars and allowed me to hone licks from otherwise unknown to me bands and players.

I also took a large amount of historic references from the programme into my teaching to help younger players see the links and necessary homage to be paid to the past.

Although latterly Paul Jones seemed to have developed a habit of tripping over his tongue in his mouth! he nonetheless was an apt host for not only the show but also British Blues.

Monday evenings 7pm will just not be the same.

Cheers Paul.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited April 2018
    I found it to be a real gem of a show, and tried to listen in when I could. Rarely possible, but yes, another end of era moment. Shame it can't be said for some of his other Radio 2 colleagues.

Blues definitely has it's place on radio. And you, Paul Jones, will be sadly missed. Good luck with whatever you do next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I've enjoyed Paul's program over the years despite not being a massive fan of his in the Manfreds or The Blues Band. Hopefully Cerys Matthews can do a good job and take the show forward.  

It'll be interesting to see how long the Mayo/Wiley show lasts. The Johnnie Walker Rock show sounds like it'll be good though. http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/radio-2-spring-schedule
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Mayo and Wiley... I'm *not* looking forward to that.

I can stomach Mayo, but the smugness will go off the chart when Wiley joins the mix.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I haven’t listened in ages except for the odd bit on car journeys. I was an avid listener for years, used to tape the show and play it in the car during the week. Paul’s knowledge and enthusiasm were brilliant, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

My name on here first got used as EricTheWeary on the short lived forum for the blues show, so you all have him to thank for me ( sort of). 
    I’ve seen The Blues Band, I think, three times including on my 40th birthday. Highly enjoyable and their early stuff still sounds fantastic. 

https://youtu.be/qxVHHCo-mpQ
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I've enjoyed Paul's program over the years despite not being a massive fan of his in the Manfreds or The Blues Band. Hopefully Cerys Matthews can do a good job and take the show forward.  

It'll be interesting to see how long the Mayo/Wiley show lasts. The Johnnie Walker Rock show sounds like it'll be good though. http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/radio-2-spring-schedule
    Cerys' Sunday show on 6music is really good 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Agreed...it was a great show and a frequent source of inspiration for stuff to listen to for me.
    R2 seem to be doing a bit of a reshuffle.  My other favourite, for different reasons, is a completely different type of program, Sara Cox's Sounds of the 80s (shows my age!).