Jazzmaster build

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3818
edited April 2018 in Making & Modding
Just starting to assemble a new Jazzmaster and thought I'd share my journey. First up, body and neck from GSP Basses of this parish.

Body
Alder
2-piece, centre join

Neck

Maple
Rosewood slab fingerboard
9.5” fretboard radius
Contour: C shape
Thickness: 0.83” at first fret, 0.90” at twelfth fret 
Frets: 6125 (0.095” x 0.047” Jescar FW47095 18% NICKEL SILVER)
Unbleached bone nut
Standard Fender 25.5” scale length and 1.650” nut width
21 frets
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Nice.....thought for colour......I saw a stunner somewhere recently in Black and Chrome, really classy....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3818
    edited April 2018
    Thanks, @paulnb57 ;; Black with tort is a classic colour combo, but I had a black strat for years, so fancy something different. Current thinking is something like the colour below: sage green metallic/aged ice blue metallic paired with a matte black pickguard and cream covers/knobs. I'm sorely tempted by a Spitfire guard, but they're so expensive and the green/red colour combo might look a bit Christmassy!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @paulnb57 ;; Black with tort is a classic colour combo, but I had a black strat for years, so fancy something different. Current thinking is something like the colour below: sage green metallic/aged ice blue metallic paired with a matte black pickguard and cream covers/knobs. I'm sorely tempted by a Spitfire guard, but they're so expensive and the green/red colour combo might look a bit Christmassy!

That will look class.

Tort on that colour will look nasty IMHO...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Lebarque said:

Looking good so far - nice piece of wood. Depending on the control layout you are thinking of, I have a Spitfire guard that I could be persuaded to move on - it doesn't have the cutouts for the rhythm circuit - has the pickup selector switch in that position. I had planned a JM build with Mojo WRHB but starting to have second thoughts about whether I really need another guitar!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Also in the guard stakes for a few sovs less than a Spitfire (which are sublime) I have the one I took off my TVL JM when I, er, fitted a Spitfire.

while it has the rhythm circuit functionality it has a circular hole for a flick switch a la Les Paul, rather than a traditional JM slider. Anyway, just a thought.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Don't forget to stick a logo on the headstock.  
    edited April 2018
    Gagaryn said:
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @paulnb57 ;;; Black with tort is a classic colour combo, but I had a black strat for years, so fancy something different. Current thinking is something like the colour below: sage green metallic/aged ice blue metallic paired with a matte black pickguard and cream covers/knobs. I'm sorely tempted by a Spitfire guard, but they're so expensive and the green/red colour combo might look a bit Christmassy!

Looking good so far - nice piece of wood. Depending on the control layout you are thinking of, I have a Spitfire guard that I could be persuaded to move on - it doesn't have the cutouts for the rhythm circuit - has the pickup selector switch in that position. I had planned a JM build with Mojo WRHB but starting to have second thoughts about whether I really need another guitar!
    Thanks, @Gagaryn and @JerkMoans ; , but I'm going to go for traditional rhythm circuit controls, switches etc.
    edited April 2018
    Don't forget to stick a logo on the headstock.  
    @fastonebaz ;; What logo? Lebarmaster? Nah, I like to see the wood grain.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Lebarque said:
    Gagaryn said:
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @paulnb57 ;;; Black with tort is a classic colour combo, but I had a black strat for years, so fancy something different. Current thinking is something like the colour below: sage green metallic/aged ice blue metallic paired with a matte black pickguard and cream covers/knobs. I'm sorely tempted by a Spitfire guard, but they're so expensive and the green/red colour combo might look a bit Christmassy!

Thanks, @Gagaryn and @JerkMoans ; , but I'm going to go for traditional rhythm circuit controls, switches etc.
    No worries. What plans do you have for hardware and pickups? Over the years I’ve modded my TVL to within an inch of its life but I’ve finally settled on Mastery everything, a Creamery Wider Range at the bridge and an oddball prototype Curtis Novak at the neck which was meant to be a bridge pickup but just works for me. Anyway, wholeheartedly recommend all of the above :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    @JerkMoans ; I'm going to get some traditional jazzer pups to start with (probably Mojo 58-64 Overwound Bridge set or similar) and see how I get on. With regards to hardware, a Staytrem bridge and trem, although I've just noticed that they only seem to do the bar and collet. Hmmm. Options for trem plate, spring etc.? Don't really want to fork out for Mastery.
    I forgot to mention before: Having sourced bits for partscasters predominantly from America before, I'm going to try and stay in the UK as much as possible for this one. The one exception could be Gotoh split post tuners. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    @Lebarque ; call it a Twangspanker on your logo. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    My jazzmaster project isn’t far behind... I shall watch the progress here keenly :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Lebarque said:
    @JerkMoans ; I'm going to get some traditional jazzer pups to start with (probably Mojo 58-64 Overwound Bridge set or similar) and see how I get on. With regards to hardware, a Staytrem bridge and trem, although I've just noticed that they only seem to do the bar and collet. Hmmm. Options for trem plate, spring etc.? Don't really want to fork out for Mastery.
    The Mojo overwound set is superb - that is what is in my current JM. I've also got the Staytrem bridge and arm - both also recommended. The arm and collet is designed to fit on a genuine Fender plate - he does imperial and metric for US and non US models. Not sure if it would fit non Fender plates  - I have no experience with them.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Gagaryn said:
    Lebarque said:
    The Mojo overwound set is superb - that is what is in my current JM. I've also got the Staytrem bridge and arm - both also recommended. The arm and collet is designed to fit on a genuine Fender plate - he does imperial and metric for US and non US models. Not sure if it would fit non Fender plates  - I have no experience with them.
    Same set up as mine too. Perfect. 
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I'd also go for Fender plate and Staytrem upgrades. Or... you can even fix the regular Fender arm into the collet more tightly by putting a cable tie (pulled very tight) around the collet. It's a quick and dirty fix but does work and it's cheap!

Have five (I think?!) JM builds on the go at the moment and your list of parts sounds pretty spot on. Mojo pickups are hard to beat here in the UK.

Colour wise.... aged IBM does it for me every time with a white or parchment guard.

Another of my favourites - greened out Firemist Silver is stunning  - this one's just about done curing:

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    I just snapped these pics for you in case any help... 

It's a WD celluloid tort guard. Probably the best option after a Spitfire and easier to find in the UK, I'm going to put a proper vintage bevel on this one before it is ever used though. It's not perfect but it's light years beyond the horrible cheap printed stuff. Too many nice looking guitars have been ruined by that stuff.

side note - I'm meeting someone this afternoon who's been working on their own vintage style repro tort which is looking pretty amazing...

I'm of the opinion that tort with the greens is too Christmassy though. And in one graphic design job I had my colleagues used to always repeat "red and green should never be seen" - or something like that!

Anyway - this is just roughly laid over my trusty old Sherwood Green JM - maybe i'm stuck in my ways but just doesn't work with these custom colour metallics like a crisp white or parchment guard (yeah I have a gold guard on there right now!!)

Apart from on heavily aged Firemist Gold maybe...

EDIT--- back from meeting my contact who is working on developing this tort here in the UK, first time I've seen it in person and was pretty bowled over. Pics don't quite capture it. He's left one with me to polish to a higher gloss if possible. Don't normally like tort with LPB at all, but there's so much yellow in this one I think it kind of works... I think when these are refined they're going to be a great asset to alll JM/Jag?Tort enthusiasts in the UK! Should be cheaper than importing from the USA too.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks so much,@rexter . Some crackers in there. Yeh, red and green is not a great combo IMO. I like a dark tort, but that fiery one from your contact looks great. How long before he's in production?!
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    cheers, my pleasure! Yeah it’s christmas all year round with tort on green and maybe that’s just  too much Christmas!

These guards are an evolving project the way I understand it, but honestly, having seen them in person they are looking great. Very similar to the vintage guards I’ve experienced.

Being made in very small batches at the mo. I think there’s definitely a plan to make some JM guards soon but can’t say when or what the total cost will be - but can pass on interest and perhaps contact if you’re interested? Not trying to be deliberately vague, just they are still
    in development and don’t want to overshoot the mark! 
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk