Flanger Pedals...

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited April 2018
    zepp76 said:
    Get a Mooer E-Lady, best bang for buck flanger on the market.
    I haven't tried it but I've heard it won't do the VH thing?

The big problem is not all of the flangers will do the EVH thing- I had more or less the same problem as you, I don't use it much, but a cheaper one which won't do the sound I want is also a waste of money. I got lucky and got a pretty good deal on the EVH flanger for about £90 (new), it's usually about double that.

IIRC even the Joyo one will more or less do it for pretty cheap, though also IIRC I thought after a while I could hear mine even when it was off in the background...

EDIT: Also FWIW I had the micro flanger (but it broke and I got a refund), and I didn't really think it did the VH thing, either- nice tone and a nice pedal, but wasn't really capable of that EVH tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited April 2018
    Hmmm. Interesting.

This is all really really helpful stuff to hear. I’m kinda unsure what the best bet is now. I do actually have enough cash in my guitar stuff fund to get the EVH... but it seems hugely extravagant. I guess I could buy one online and try it and if I don’t like it I can legitimately return it. If I was going to try that option, I’d do it 100% above board and if it did go back it would be absolutely pristine and returned immediately. If it was £90 I’d be be buying one right now. Maybe I just hold off until I see one going cheap...

How do you like your EVH one?

• I think mooer do a mxr clone as well

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    The boss bf2 hurts my teeth. So metallic and thin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited April 2018
    Have a look at the subdecay OP
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    DesVegas said:
    The boss bf2 hurts my teeth. So metallic and thin
    Really? Taste is subjective isn't it. I think it's the best out there and I've tried a lot
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    I've got a Boss Flanger where the microswitch on the pedal is shot, so it doesn't latch any more. Had a quick look, but fixing it is beyond my limited skills. If it's any use you can have it for the cost of postage.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I love my grey MXR flanger (M-117R) which is the same as the EVH one without the paint job. £147 at Thomann UK.
    You won't regret it or want to sell it.
    Snags said:
    I've got a Boss Flanger where the microswitch on the pedal is shot, so it doesn't latch any more. Had a quick look, but fixing it is beyond my limited skills. If it's any use you can have it for the cost of postage.
    Thanks for the offer, that’s really cool, but fixing that is beyond me too I think.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I maaaaaay have a Boss BF-3 for sale soon. I need to do some picking and choosing first (that Cosmichorus in the Classifieds really intrigues me) but just thought I'd throw it out there if you're interested.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Snags said:
    PM sent
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I know they're not popular with everyone, but I think the Joyo Flanger is rather good particularly at only £32 new. It's a clone of the old Ibanez FL-9. Good for that Page 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' intro and can do whoosing jet flange, slow phasey sweeps and does that crazy self-oscillation thing.
    I've had a PM offering me a Donner Flanger for next to nothing and the reviews look like it's worth a try. Depending on how that pans out, I'll either abandon my Flanger endeavours or look to go for one of the more expensive brands. I wasn't sure at first, but for the money it has to be worth a try to see how I get on.

Obviously this is right at the bottom end of the pedal price range so I'd imagine it's maybe only of limited "ability" (much like myself!), but I figured it would give enough of an idea whether I will actually use one or not. I've found this thread mega useful. :)
    edited April 2018
    andyp said:
    Hmmm. Interesting.

This is all really really helpful stuff to hear. I’m kinda unsure what the best bet is now. I do actually have enough cash in my guitar stuff fund to get the EVH... but it seems hugely extravagant. I guess I could buy one online and try it and if I don’t like it I can legitimately return it. If I was going to try that option, I’d do it 100% above board and if it did go back it would be absolutely pristine and returned immediately. If it was £90 I’d be be buying one right now. Maybe I just hold off until I see one going cheap...

How do you like your EVH one?

It's very nice- pretty cool the way it has the wee switch for the EVH tone so you can set it to a different setting and have two tones available on the fly. I kind of got really lucky, as you said, and jumped on it. Keep an eye out, that's not the first time I've seen it at that deal price (I got mine from Coda IIRC). For all I use it, even £90 is probably extravagant enough, lol, but it's a lot better than what it usually costs...

FWIW I don't think the grey regular one has the switch, but I think it's identical apart from that, as @jdgm said. (I haven't tried it.)
    Thanks, it does sound cool... I’ll watch for a deal coming up if I still want to pursue this after my cheap wee experimental one arrives.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Dave_Mc said:

FWIW I don't think the grey regular one has the switch, but I think it's identical apart from that, as @jdgm said. (I haven't tried it.)
    Yes absolutely right I forgot about the switch!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    The switch is just a preset and not necessary, it jumps straight to where he always has the knobs set. If the standard version is the same model otherwise (I've no idea personally) you're set, Eddie's setting are all over the net. I IRS he only uses one. Are you trying to achieve EVH or just like the sound of that box? If you're trying to get his sound then the Mooer is fine. Eddie's flanger use isn't like say Andy Summers, he only used it for little parts and with muted a lot of those (Unchained), so as long as your flanger does the spaceship noise you should be fine.
    ^ Oh yeah, you don't need the switch to access his sound (in fact, sometimes I thought I could actually get slightly closer using the knobs, lol), but it does mean if you need multiple settings (including the EVH one) or if, ahem, you're rubbish at understanding the knobs on a flanger like me, you can have two settings on the fly without having to remember where to set the knobs... :D
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I always break flangers down into two types; whooshy ones like Boss, or liqudy ones that are chorus based like the original EM.

I like the latter- so TC SCF's, EM's CE1's, Hartmans....

At the risk of handing my cork sniffer hat back, the Mooer EleCLady is every bit as good as people have said. In fact it annoys me greatly that I could swap my behemoth EM and its Cornish mixing box for something the size of a stamp.

Phil, Tom Chris and I backed to back them, and you really can't tell that and the V3 Green Script apart, save for the ElecLady maybe has slightly higher noise floor.

Pretty stellar thing. 4 Gassage Stars

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Grrr don't say that, I've been on the fence for years about picking one up to do the "other" type of flanging... :D