Flanger Pedals...

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Bloody GAS! I only looked at/posted in this thread passing through, but curiosity got the better of me and at only £22 I thought the Donner Jet Convolution was worth a punt. A clone of a clone! Should turn up in next few days.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    No Moog clusterflux mentioned?
    That's the daddy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    That's the daddy
    Reading the first post, I think the OP is looking for a budget pedal.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Gadget said:
    That's the daddy
    Reading the first post, I think the OP is looking for a budget pedal.
    :-D

well that could be an issue

Does an EHX Stereo Electric Mistress qualify?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Octafish said:
    Bloody GAS! I only looked at/posted in this thread passing through, but curiosity got the better of me and at only £22 I thought the Donner Jet Convolution was worth a punt. A clone of a clone! Should turn up in next few days.
    It’s one of those I ended up with after starting this thread. I realised it was more a curiosity I had than a need for a £200 Van Halen pedal. I’ve only had a chance to try it briefly, but it definitely does what I was looking for at the moment. If I use it lots then I’ll upgrade.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    ^ Nice :D
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Gassage said:
    I always break flangers down into two types; whooshy ones like Boss, or liqudy ones that are chorus based like the original EM.

I like the latter- so TC SCF's, EM's CE1's, Hartmans....

At the risk of handing my cork sniffer hat back, the Mooer EleCLady is every bit as good as people have said. In fact it annoys me greatly that I could swap my behemoth EM and its Cornish mixing box for something the size of a stamp.

Phil, Tom Chris and I backed to back them, and you really can't tell that and the V3 Green Script apart, save for the ElecLady maybe has slightly higher noise floor.

Pretty stellar thing. 4 Gassage Stars
    Wow, praise indeed! :)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    andyp said:
    Octafish said:
    It’s one of those I ended up with after starting this thread. I realised it was more a curiosity I had than a need for a £200 Van Halen pedal. I’ve only had a chance to try it briefly, but it definitely does what I was looking for at the moment. If I use it lots then I’ll upgrade.
    Got my Donner the other day, pretty impressed. Very smooth sweep/flange, sounds good as slow sweep or fast Leslie-esque wobble, comes in quite a flash box as well with a magnetic flap. I probably didn't need it as i don't use flanging heavily and the Joyo does a good job, but it's a lot smaller than the Joyo and GAS and all that....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    I have the Hartman Flanger and it’s amazing for Summers-esque Mistress tones (without the hiss) but less good for the whooshy stuff.
    Zombie time! Sorry.

So, I'm back thinking of upgrading my existing mini chorus pedal and mini flanger (that I bought above) and replacing them both with a new flanger pedal... Mainly to simplify how many pedals I have, but I still have two questions...

1. Will I be able to get a half-decent chorus sound out of a flanger like the MXR micro?

2. The one thing I've noticed with the Donner flanger is that it really sucks the volume out of things, but I quite like the general sound it does. Is this a flanger thing or just this pedal? It cost next to nothing and has been great, I'm just wondering if it's this model pedal or an issue I might have with more expensive ones too.

Thanks again.

Andy
  • @andyp  If you want chorus and flanger in one pedal, might be worth looking at a Digitech Nautila. £85 at Thomann...…..tempting!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_nautila.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjPTcpYGC4QIV77vtCh20fgqtEAYYASABEgLkL_D_BwE

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    My eBay method is type in the kind of pedal you want (in this case "flanger") then "MIJ". 

Of course you will have a budget, but you may be surprised what you might find. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    I like my flangers rather subtle. I usually set "Manual" near maximum and "Resonance" near minimum. I prefer flanger to chorus or phaser, because flanger does not make my sound go "wah" or throb too much (phasers...) or weirdly out of tune (chorus). That Dimension C chorus, though...
    My Arion SFL-1 can go either swooshy or subtle. It does something to the mids, which makes it fantastically suitable to put before dirt. My recently acquired Boss HF-2 is lovely for subtle enhancement of cleans.
    Thanks guys! Quick replies as always. :)

I’ll investigate these options tonight.

• Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    Oh, to get a chorusy tone in a flanger, I would put "Resonance" control low and "Manual" control low, too. This should get you there, if you have a flanger with the typical set of 4 controls.
  • I have high hopes for this one, which will hopefully be with me within the next few days...
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    I just don't get flangers. What's the point of them, apart from the odd Police/Floyd cover? Much prefer chorus/phaser myself.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    andyp said:
    Zombie time! Sorry.

So, I'm back thinking of upgrading my existing mini chorus pedal and mini flanger (that I bought above) and replacing them both with a new flanger pedal... Mainly to simplify how many pedals I have, but I still have two questions...

1. Will I be able to get a half-decent chorus sound out of a flanger like the MXR micro?

2. The one thing I've noticed with the Donner flanger is that it really sucks the volume out of things, but I quite like the general sound it does. Is this a flanger thing or just this pedal? It cost next to nothing and has been great, I'm just wondering if it's this model pedal or an issue I might have with more expensive ones too.

Thanks again.

Andy
    I have come to the conclusion that it is the type of pedal... assuming the Donner is a clone of the Mooer clone of the Electric Mistress!

I swapped out my Mooer ElecLady for a genu-ine big-box Electric Mistress Deluxe because of the volume drop. Thought it was a Mooer thing, but the EH does the same thing; which makes sense considering how slavishly 'authentic' the Mooer copies are.
    Furthermore, I've also noticed that Electric Mistress model in Amplitube does the same thing, QED it must be the pedal.

Which is rather annoying!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm. Interesting. The volume drop does bug me, but I'm a basic player at best and only at home... so it's not like it's a big deal. I was just musing as I looked at my pedals the other night that the two I could really upgrade and reduce to one are the chorus and flanger...

The MXR Micro seems to be in the lead at the moment, or maybe the TC Vortex. Tell you something too, prices for the pedals I've looked at off the back of this thread seem to vary a fair bit and the likes of the full Vortex is only £10 more than the mini one.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    Flange or Phaser?? -  is there that much difference??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>