Interview

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
Got a call from a recruitment place a few weeks ago and got half interviewed for a marketing position in a place that deals with chainmail and battle axes.  I forgot about it/ assumed goin gnowhere then got a call today, got an interview tomorrow 9am.
As a person i feel i have a moral obligation to want that job as it involves the aforementioned chainmail and battle axes.

Email confirmation says don't worry about a suit as its all very casual there. Does this mean i should wear a suit anyway, go smart/casual or wear a suit of armour?

Any interview tips? Particularly stuff i should grill them about at the end?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28117
    I would say smart-not-suit. Check there's somewhere to tether your steed. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Did they find you on LINKed in?

I’ll get me jerkin.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you had a bit more time and the place wasn't a trek I'd have said check out the workplace before by loitering around and look at what the staff who work there are wearing. But its generally better to overdress than under dress. You can casual it up once you've bagged the job.

Focus on your strengths and sell how you are the right person for them, chances are they've got like 3 other people to see in the frame for the job. Make sure they know they should pick YOU.

This may be an interview but its also your chance to interview them and ask them stuff too, particularly progression prospects, etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Focus on your strengths and sell how you are the right person for them, chances are they've got like 3 other people to see in the frame for the job. Make sure they know they should pick YOU.

This may be an interview but its also your chance to interview them and ask them stuff too, particularly progression prospects, etc
    Well i know my stuff when it comes to job content (i assume, haven't actually had a job spec, or seen specifics)

Last job i got i was pretty average on job spec but it was my interviewing of them afterwards that got me the job as i apparently totally back footed them. So it's this bit that i need to prepare for, as i'm working atm, i have limited time to actually research the place too.. so it's up to backfooting them again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did they find you on LINKed in?

I’ll get me jerkin.
    Winner :)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12342
    Trousers, open necked shirt, proper shoes I would say in that situation.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    munckee said:
    And a broadsword.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Speaking as a recruiter, can you look them up their website or facebook and can you find them on linkedin? You might be able to gauge how smart the general attire is from there.

I'd strongly push for the job spec from the person who headhunted you though, that's pretty shady behaviour not to have provided it. You might get it from the company's website.

Questions that are always good to ask are 1. what will my first few weeks/months look like 2. what training will i receive 3. what development opportunities are there 4. what is the company culture like etc.

Sounds like a potentially cool job though.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    Just think if you get the job you can bring some stuff home after work and give it to your wife/girlfriend with some Brasso while you pop down the pub with your mates.

Women always say they fancey a night in, shining armour .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I always like to ask "Are there elements of the role which you feel would be a challenge to me?" 

This allows you to get them to identify where they feel you might not meet the criteria / experience etc - and allow you to counter their opinion by giving an example / advising on something you might have missed in an earlier question.
    Good luck
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12342
    PC_Dave said:
    munckee said:
    And a broadsword.
    Sorry thought that went without saying, like pants and some change for the bus : )
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Good luck! :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    BTW when they say have you any [more] questions, always finish off with:

"Is there a subject, that you're sitting there thinking about, 'Why hasn't he asked about that?' ?"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    I’d be inclined to sport a full set of late mediaeval plate armour, a pig-faced bascinet and a twelve foot battle lance, slap down a gauntlet and challenge the CEO to a joust.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7844
    Jeans, shirt, jeans, jacket :)

beat of luck.  

Ulfberht!
    Bullet belts in or out? :)
    @failed_astronaut thanks, that's the lines i was thinking along, wis.
    @phil_aka_pip Genius.. great finisher :)

@jerkmoans.. I'll keep a gauntlet in my back pocket and challenge him to a duel if all else fails 
    LuttiS said:

@jerkmoans.. I'll keep a gauntlet in my back pocket and challenge him to a duel if all else fails 
    Trial by Combat. Proper alternative dispute resolution.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    It is a loooooong time since I had to go through an interview. Last I recall there was one particularly irksome tick who thought he was being smart by asking:

Q: ‘What would you say is your worst characteristic?’

A: ‘Evasiveness’

Nothing daunted:

Q: ‘Your best?’

A: ‘Modesty’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498

Focus on your strengths and sell how you are the right person for them

You could also focus on your dexterity, intelligence or faith, depending on which class you are.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom