Gibson being sued for $50 million

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited April 2018 in Guitar
More bad news for Gibson ... Tronical, the German firm whose Powertune automatic ‘robot’ guitar tuning systems were first introduced in 2005, has announced it is suing Gibson for $50 million.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tronical-to-sue-gibson-for-dollar50-million

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I'd say that that's a pre-emtive strike... they know Gibson is going to the wall, so they can become a creditor. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Peanuts compared to what they owe other people. Stiil, not nice though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Are they suing Gibson for making their technology universally hated by the guitar buying public?
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    impmann said:
    I'd say that that's a pre-emtive strike... they know Gibson is going to the wall, so they can become a creditor. ;-)
    They have a contract with Gibson. I just think they are enforcing their rights and seeking compensation. This could push Gibson into Chapter 11. This sort of thing is expensive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Fretwired said:
    impmann said:
    They have a contract with Gibson. I just think they are enforcing their rights and seeking compensation. This could push Gibson into Chapter 11. This sort of thing is expensive.
    I was joking, chap. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Are they suing Gibson for making their technology universally hated by the guitar buying public?
    They will probably add that to the lawsuit when they read your comment .. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Fretwired said:
    impmann said:
    I was joking, chap. :-)
    Doh!!! :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    Anything that creates employment opportunities for honest, hard-working lawyers is to be applauded, imho :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Gibson could afford to pay that if they sold a couple of their custom shop ‘59 Les Pauls surely?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I look forward to seeing the phrase 'pre lawsuit tuners' in classifieds
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Well now we know why Gibson went to the extreme step of putting them on everything in 2015 ... an effort to meet its contractual obligations perhaps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    $23m as a share of profits? That's a rather large number.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    I didn't know Gibson had made any profit. Isn't that one of the reasons they're in the brown stuff?

I'm sure Tronic can "have their share" of a umpteen million loss if they want it!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Meh oh well, should have been better at business then shouldn't they. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    I didn't know Gibson had made any profit. Isn't that one of the reasons they're in the brown stuff?

I'm sure Tronic can "have their share" of a umpteen million loss if they want it!
    Gibson as a group lost money and is in debt.

Gibson Guitars (just the guitar making arm) has grown in terms of sales and makes very healthy profits. The Guitar making arm will survive. The future of the rest is uncertain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Fretwired ;  OK. The guitar making arm is the only bit that I care about. Hope the rest of the group gets sold off or liquidated asap so as not to take the guitar business down with it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    WezV said:
    Well now we know why Gibson went to the extreme step of putting them on everything in 2015 ... an effort to meet its contractual obligations perhaps?
    If they had kept the normal neck width, and not had that stupid Les Paul 100 logo they might have actually sold a few.  I don't mind the idea of the tuners without the other stuff that came in 2015.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14214
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    WezV said:
    If they had kept the normal neck width, and not had that stupid Les Paul 100 logo they might have actually sold a few.  I don't mind the idea of the tuners without the other stuff that came in 2015.
    might agree about the nut width and logo - but many reports of the tuners 'crashing' and as you'd expect always when you don't want them to 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26566
    Man, did they ever get their timing wrong...
    <space for hire>
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14214
    tFB Trader
    I'm guessing that Gibson and Tronical agreed an exclusive period - And I dare say an agreed level of sales revenue

So how enforceable is this, if the product did not sell to the expected level - Easy answer is if you signed a deal then it is set in stone - But I dare say there are loop holes to pull out of such a deal - This then becomes the grey area where 2 teams of lawyers make their money - The world wide negative feedback regarding such tuners would help Gibson in this matter,  along with so many 'crashing' - I'm sure Gibson would utilise such negative issues to assist them

In essence Tronicals best bet of success was to have the tuners on a guitar with some major builder or another - If they had just marketed them as an aftermarket accessory, then I dare say the large majority of us would have shown no interest in removing our traditional Kluson, Grover, Schaller models, from our SG, LP or 335, for some electronic wizardry  - As such the product would have achieved little success anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom