SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS 1979 Gibson The Paul

GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
edited March 2014 in Guitars £
This is a 1978 Gibson The Paul
Solid walnut body, ebony fingerboard all original - has correct T-top humbuckers.
It is 36 years old and has been gigged - it is NOT mint condition - however all solid - it has mojo - in spades...!!
Comes with Gibson 'chainsaw' case
£750 plus shipping
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e300/Graham_John_Knappett/Mobile Uploads/2014-03/692CBD5F-C6D4-43E1-85D1-A316480AF9CC_zpsjhmayuuc.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e300/Graham_John_Knappett/Mobile Uploads/2014-03/6884FEA3-2A9B-41BF-9EB5-BDC466D1CAAE_zpsx6w0n5ia.jpg

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Very nice, great guitars, got one from the same year. 

This is a 1979 though.  1st and 5th digit of serial give you the year.  Was made on the 72 day (digits 2-4) i.e. March 13th.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2014
    Nice (I've got a '78, not in as good condition though and without tthe case). Anyway there was a theard on here recently where @Dharma1966 looked like he was after one, see here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/9445/
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    ESchap;194525" said:
    Very nice, great guitars, got one from the same year.  This is a 1979 though.  1st and 5th digit of serial give you the year.  Was made on the 72 day (digits 2-4) i.e. March 13th.
    Cheers - my reference was the serial no decoder - I believe some were made in '78 and not launched 'till '79

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I do like the look of these...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dharma1966Dharma1966 Frets: 0
    edited March 2014
    Indeed I was looking, and I found. I got mine about six weeks ago from a mom n pop store Virginia. It came with original warranty card and had only one owner from new, who bought it from the same store all those years ago! It's in roughly the same condition as this one for sale here...in other words, stunning :) I had long believed these were launched in 79, but mine not only has a 78 serial, but the warranty card is dated December 78, so definitely they went on sale at the back end of that year. If I hadn't already found one, I'd jump at this. For anyone who might be pondering, I can honestly say these are the best 'Les Paul' style guitars I have ever played. I bought my first one in about 1683, and played bejesus out of it for five years. I bought it as a cheap, second hand bottom-of-the-range beater, and as my very first guitar. When I decided I was going to take playing seriously, I set out to replace my Paul (about two years after buying), and went hunting with a thick wad of cash, looking at 'proper' Les Paul's. Standards felt bad compared to my Paul, so I tried customs, custom shop jobbies, everything. I felt I needed the 'real thing', but nothing came close to the playing experience of this guitar, so I kept it. Another three years on, circumstances changed and I sold it. Last year, I took up playing again, and being a grown up with a few pennies, I set out to get an R0. But it didn't feel anything like my old guitar, and I couldn't get on with it. Tried an R8. Same thing. I ended up buying a 70's tribute to tide me over until I found another if these. I could pretty much buy anything I wanted in the Gibson range, but nothing. Nothing, feels and plays as good as these.
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 410
     I bought my first one in about 1683, .
    Bet you wished you'd kept it. It might be a relic by now
  • Lol.
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    All this is making me rethink selling...!!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think the first Gibson I ever held was a The Paul, actually before I took up playing (I had played a bit of bass at that point). It belonged to a friend of mine who stuck a Kahler in it and later sold it to buy decks (right word?)to become a dj.Idiot. 
    :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I part owned on in the late 80s... long story but a band mate and I had our guitars smashed up by my ex's mother (like I say, long story) and so she paid for a replacement guitar that the two of us would 'share'... a Gibson The Paul. The one we had was fitted with DiMarzio pickups (SD at the bridge and a PAF at the neck).

Sadly, the story turns sour as the band mate and I had a falling out over money he owed me (that he spent on drugs) and then the guitar plus a Selmer Zodiac Twin Thirty were "stolen" from his flat in Woolwich while he was wasted. 

Great guitar, though - and every so often I consider buying one... but realistically I don't think I'd ever use it enough to buy one.

GLWTS - this looks like a nice example. :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GJK1959 said:
    All this is making me rethink selling...!!

If don't NEED to sell it, don't sell it. They are stunning and there's nothing like them. Checkout what people in the Norlins section of the My Les Paul forum think. Those of us in the know, know. These guitars will be serious vintage gear in a few years when people get wise.
    Even now, consider that I sold mine, with a 50watt Marshall head and Carlsboro 4x12 cab in about 1988/9 for the grand total of £125 for the lot, and the price you are asking now is fair in the current market, but a steal as far as I'm concerned. I think they will only grow in value, and if you ever decide you need one again, you'll have to pay more than you sell this one for....