NAD - MJW Bantam

What's Hot
CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
edited April 2018 in Amps
I noticed this in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and marked it to follow.  Fast forward a couple of weeks and the sale of a guitar puts me in the market.  Quick message to @shaunm and a meet up at Birch services was arranged for last night.  Accompanied by @CasperCaster the exchange was made and a damn good chat too.  Very nice to meet you Shaun.

Got to plug it in briefly after work today and am very pleased indeed, @martinw you make a damn fine amplifier.

Over the years I've owned a few very nice amps including a gorgeous Matamp V28, a Dr Z Maz Jr and Carmen Ghia.

First impressions of the Bantam are that is is more flexible than the three controls would have you believe.  Shaun described it as a mix of Marshall & Vox tones.  I plugged my telecaster in and set all controls to 12 o'clock.  The noise coming back at me was very pleasant indeed. Bold, punchy and resonant, with good overtones as the note decays.  Switching to humbuckers and tweaking the gain control gives a gorgeous dose of classic rock.

I'm looking forward to trying it through a few different cabinets at my mates then taking it to a gig and sticking a few choice pedals into it.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Good choice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @CountryDave I’m really glad you like it. It was a pleasure to meet you and @CasperCaster (both great guys). 

Ps- The Peacekeeper is an absolute belter. It’s a strats best mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Got to plug it in briefly after work today and am very pleased indeed, @martinw you make a damn fine amplifier.

Thank you! :)

Glad you like it. You certainly got a bargain.
    You can thank Jonathan at Feline Guitars for the 'cats eyes' grille on the front.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849

I got a couple of hours to play with this last night and I am so pleased with it @martinw ;; 

Love the look of it and the size and weight are a massive bonus. I feel this could become my do it all, number one amp, especially with the addition of a few choice pedals.  To be gigged very soon.

It reminds me of the Ghia in a number of (very good) ways, the attack is similar and the notes seem to bloom as they ring out.  I stuck my main telecaster straight into it and the reaction to different playing dynamics are fantastic.  Stuck a drive and Boss FRV (set with a very slight amount of verb) in front and wow.  Got the Nashville tele and hit the 'strat' in between settings and it's quacks like a good un.  So much control just from the volume and tone on the guitar.

Just wow.  Think I might even sell my old Jubilee :o :o

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited May 2018

nunah, nunah, nunah, nunuh,

Bantam!

Shit...sorry

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     =) 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The man knows how to make an amp.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    The man knows how to make an amp.
    Thank you :)

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    Is that a 1x12 you're using it through?
    Yes, a Jet City 1x12. Sounds great.
    @CountryDave I'll be very keen to hear what you think of this amp through some different cabs. I'm running mine through a small, open-back 1x12, and I don't think it's doing it justice. I can't help but think that this amp really needs a 2x12 to complement it.

@shaunm You ran this through a Zilla 2x12 didn't you? I presume it was a closed-back one?
    @victorludorum my friend has a nice Cornford 2x12 along with an Orange PPC112.
    I hope to try it through them both at some point soon.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @victoludorum ;; I have used the head with a couple of different cabs & speaker combinations and I can honestly say that greenbacks are they way to go with that amp. It just sounded fantastic. It needed something that accentuated the breakup. I tried it with a Blue and it was loud as hell but sounded a little toppy, I tried it in a Marshall 2x12 with V30’s and that sounded ok but with either a 1x12 or 2x12 with Greenbacks or g30h speakers it absolutely sang. It’s just a great little amp. 

Im glad you are loving it @CountryDave sometimes buying an amp without hearing it is a little bit of a leap of faith. When dealing with @martinw work that choice is made quite a bit easier as you can be sure of the quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    I've an old (very badly sprayed) Marshall cab with 3 remaining greenbacks, from 1971 apparently. 
    Might just throw one of them into the mix. 
    I'm playing mine through a Blue, but then I like it a bit cleaner and toppier, so maybe I'm on the right track...